Category Community

COMMUNITY FEATURE – Rich Blondel’s great terrain!

Desert and Rocks!

In our very first Community Feature, we took a look at Rich Blondel’s CORE collection. Now Rich is back with a look at some of his Dark Age terrain, and some words on how he built and painted it all.

WP_20150407_01_18_27_SmartShoot_zps8b5491e6

” Greetings, Samarians.

I am happy to be able to show you all my Dark Age gaming table! I wanted something that looks very natural and would be easy to make, I didn’t want to sink a lot of money in this project either, so I’m presenting a photo tutorial for a cheap board that will look (I hope) realistic.

• I bought two wooden boards, each 4’x2′

• I took some used cork noticeboards and tore them up around the edges. I glued the cork down to the boards, and kept the pieces aligned pretty well with the edges of the board...

Read More

COMMUNITY FEATURE – Studio Fontaine paints Jarl Ramsaur

Fontaine1

Well, actually Mathieu’s students did. This past weekend, students from eastern Canada descended on Trois-Rivières in Québec to learn various painting techniques at the feet of painting master Mathieu Fontaine. We’ve long been fans of Mathieu’s work, so when we heard he was featuring skin in his latest Masterclass, we thought we’d send him a model just right for the purpose – Jarl Ramsaur!

JarlRamsaur1

Here are a few examples from his class, still works in progress, but you can certainly get a great idea of the approach from these images.

JarlRamsaur2

To see more of Mathieu’s work and find out about his Masterclass events, check out his Facebook page HERE.

Read More

COMMUNITY – A Dark Age Player Finder is underway!

DAPlayerMap

We are very excited to announce that one of our community champions, Jay Ryan, has been putting together the beta-version of a player finder over the last 24 hours. It currently requires you to submit basic details via a pinned post on the Facebook fan group Dark Age: Samaria Reborn, but as Jay further refines it, that may change.

So, if you are already a member of the Dark Age: Samaria Reborn page, then head on over there and check out the pinned post. If you aren’t, please click on the link HERE, and request to join.

If you aren’t a Facebook kind of person, we ask for your patience. We’ll work towards including you very soon.

Read More

Organized Play – Our New OP Kits!

DA_Bludgelt

Earlier in the week, we introduced you to the ‘Bludgelt’, our new “currency” for Dark Age Organized Play. You can check out the post HERE to learn more about it.

In that post we promised to show you more about our Organized Play (or OP) kits. Well, Aaron and the lovely folks at Battle Bin are packing up our OP kits as I type this, and they’ll be delivered to us just after Gencon. Very exciting!

THE CONTENTS OF THE TWO DARK AGE OP KITS

We have two OP Kits for Dark Age – Kit #1 and Kit #2 – so that we can switch up a few things in the kits to add variety to your prizes in-store. Once we know the rate we’ll be going through the OP kits, we’ll be able to better plan more variety, but we think these are starting out pretty well.

IN EVERY KIT:

In both of the kits you will find:

• One Bludgelt ...

Read More

Organized Play – Bludgelt!

Bludgelt2

Introducing new Organized Play kits for Dark Age!

At the CMON Expo back in May, we told everyone we were working on new Organized Play kits for Dark Age and Wrath of Kings. Well, the moment to unveil them in all their glory has almost arrived. As a teaser, however, we really wanted to show you the premier item for each of the Dark Age kits – the Bludgelt ingot. These hefty (2-2.5 oz), hand-cast, metal ingots will be for the winners for any event (tournament, campaign, league, narrative event, etc) that uses the Organized Play kits for prize support.

But really, we should let Bryan Steele, Dark Age Game Developer, tell you more about them! Take it away, Bryan.

Bludgelt1

The Samarian Bludgelt of Dark Age

“Twelve ...

Read More

Community Feature – Carl Tees’ Kukulkani Ah Chu Kuk

We recently represented the first of our Community Features (Rich Blondel’s CORE army). It is now time for our second Community Feature. With the Kukulkani Web Update just around the corner, we thought it would be best to show off one of the best Kukulkani models we’ve seen from the community in quite a while. Carl Tees recently painted up this Ah Chu Kuk and we loved it so much me asked him to write a few words about the process he went through (and while it’s not actual magic, it certainly seems very close). We’ll hand it over to Carl…

AhChuKukTeaser

Carl: This model is the Ah Chu Kuk from the Kukulkani faction and I’ve been asked to share my thoughts on how I approached painting it.

dag7013

Before I started painting this piece, I attended a painting workshop with Alfonso “Banshee” Giraldes...

Read More

Community Feature – Rich Blondel’s CORE

There has been a great resurgence in activity in the Dark Age community over the last six months or so, and we’ve been seeing quite a lot of wonderful models being painted by hobbyists around the world! One such hobbyist is Richard Blondel from France. He has painted some fantastic stuff, and we’ll be sure to share more of it in the future. But for now, it’s over to Rich:

WP_20160615_16_55_26_Pro_zpseol0jybx

“Here is my CORE army, there is actually 1000 PTS (I use a Menial Bot as Spartan Menial). I wanted a “tabletop+” paint level for my miniatures, so that I could get playing quickly, because my friends and I have a rule where we only play with fully painted models.

I primed all the models in white and used Games Workshop paints. I’ll quickly explain how I painted each unit of my CORE army.

WP_20160615_16_46_57_Pro_zpssmq0yl7c

Menial Bot:

These one was re...

Read More

Ever heard of the Moffit 1,000-Point Challenge?

13413131_10209008511185234_3570170921022663347_n

We are very lucky to have a great community of Dark Age hobbyists. People who are dedicated to the game and the story and the miniatures, and who love to show the game to everyone they meet. Some of our veteran hobbyists are willing to take that enthusiasm a step further, and one of them is even willing to drive across half the continental United States to challenge someone to a game.

David Moffit has been playing Dark Age for a very long time, so long he thinks he remembers a time before the Abandonment. Moffit loves Dark Age so much he regularly plays larger than usual games, busting out up to 4,000 points a side! Well, last summer he started a little campaign, in an effort to get to meet Dark Age enthusiasts across the country...

Read More