Desert paintschemes? Can't seem to settle upon a good one...HELP!

Recently I put together several pieces with the intent of a DA-specific table (although they'd easily double for a more generic desert wasteland), and for the life of me I can't seem to get the color palette right. I started with a craft ceramic 'straw' color and did some extensive drybrushing with whites and off-whites, but it's all just too yellow. I think part of my problem is I've never done desert-themed terrain before, and all the other terrain I've built was more receptive to the 'slap on this color and drybrush the snot out of it with that color, throw some flock on it and DONE!' approach, but I've seen some nice desert pieces out there that were a lot more dynamic just sand colors.

So, for those of you who have put together pieces or even whole tables, what are some of the color combinations you used? Please provide pics or links for reference!

Here's what I'm working with so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1501699_10201445793368821_1570629773_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1551562_10201445792288794_375469502_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	1109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1601357_10201445800849008_1886248314_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1622217_10201445800088989_331690267_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1111

Citadel Paints have a number of decent terrain/effects paints that simulate sand or desert pretty well without all the fuss of having to mix, dry brush, wash, etc. There is a new one I haven't tried, Agrellan Earth, but the illustration of the color is a perfect example of what I would expect desert terrain to look like.

If you don't want to go that route, I find that using a base flesh coat, as in a human-skin color, and then layering on a brown-lightened-into-tan color works pretty well. If you want, wash it with a little Earthshade.

WOOO! Welcome back to the Dark Age Smedley!!! I'm happy to see you back here!

Oranges and deeper reds are always great in Samaria!
    Throne of Angels Video Blog - ARE YOU WATCHING?

You remember me? Wow...well, it's great to be back! Yep a little birdie sent me the new books and I dusted off my old models to see what I had and what I needed, and I'm starting to settle back into a creative DA groove

Back OT, another question I had was whether there was a link to the terrain used in the DA books? I like some of the gray wasteland stuff - it's got splotches of oxides and mystery juices so it's not monotonously gray. The red terrain is also nice, I'd like to get some better pictures of that stuff and try to figure out what colors were used.
    Last edited by Smedley; 02-12-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Gimme the book and page numbers you're looking at and I"ll dig into the terrain in the playtest room and see what I can find out.

Core Rules pp. 8, 15, 24, 61 mostly.

The colors you will be looking for are a deeper rust red, khaki, tan, and a bit of grey. As usual, go from a base coat of the darkest color and work your way up. Being more desert-based, try not to make it all look perfectly uniform. Some parts will be darker, some lighter, etc.

Holy thread necro!!!

Necro the best, ignore the rest! I'll take the smaller piece and take a dedicated stab at getting a satisfactory desert scheme (mainly one that doesn't turn out a boring yellowish color).

I love it when Smedley comes back to visit...I miss Smedley.