Weekly Model Discussion: Nightmare Juggernaut

24FEB14
    Welcome to the Weekly Model Discussion!

This week we will be discussing: The Nightmare Juggernaut

How do I field this monstrosity?
    This model is part of the Skaard CULT OF METMORPHOSIS!!
    You also have to field a Grafter. This includes Dexus and Grafters apprentice.

So fielding this Monstrosity will cost 235, 245, or 270…depending on your choice of grafters. That’s a big chunk of points if we are looking at the 500 range but more appealing to the 750-1000pt games in my opinion.

Keep in mind the 3 grafters all come with their own special abilities and have their place on the battle field as well. Feel free to add their merits in to the discussion but for now I’ll focus on the Nightmare.

Stat line looks pretty good 3AP 8Def 20Arm 3Mov 10psy 5Wounds!!

5 wounds and it has Regeneration…that means you need to cause 10 wounds and you better use cauterize.

Icing on the cake: causes panic, non-living, and cult of metamorphosis perk.

He’s not fast but Skaard have their tricks to get this guy up field. You want it in melee quickly for a couple of reasons.

1. He has 4 attacks in his attack group.
    2. He has pierce – so swarms of little chumps clumped up = meat grinding time!
    3. He has def 8…attacks will hit, arm 20 and regen are there to make these hits feel like flies on a windshield but every attack against this guy is another chance for a crit hit success or crit arm fail.

Some things to think about:

Prototype – when he malfunctions not only does he get a stun counter, but he can’t make any other attacks. With a MAL of 18 he will be malfunctioning but we want this…what?!?!!?! WHY?

Machine’s Promise – Treats 1 models MAL as crit success!!! Here is the brokenness which makes this a TRUE NIGHTMARE. All of the attacks that could MAL are now more likely to auto hit with NO ARM save!!! So instead of only 1’s now you can crit on 1, 18, and 19. I like those odds.

Massive – he’s big, he’s scary, might as well paint a target on him. Ranged attacks will mainly be focused on it, Psychogenics will be focused on it, road blocks will be focused it. This is a good thing as your opponent MUST do this or it will be in his face. This leaves the majority of your force on work on objectives or get in position to deny objectives.

Guard Duty – Another tactic I’ve seen is guarding objectives. Once you figure out or have revealed what objectives the opponent is after he basically can guard 2-3 objectives with his massive size and Reach. Remember getting objectives are important – but denial is just as if not more.

The Key to keeping it alive is:
    Avoid cauterize – good luck against fire caste.
    Protect your psycogen caster
    Utilize cover/keep it in melee

That’s all I have for this weeks discussion.

I have played against this guy and have seen it tear through dragyri and then in the next game putz around getting shot to death and malfunctioning like an abused tinker toy.

What are your thoughts on this model? What works best with it? How do you take this thing out?
    Last edited by lycane; 02-24-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    http://dusktilldawngames.wordpress.com/<-----My blog check it!

New England CMoN FB Page <---- join up! Dark Age events posted here!! Outside the region welcome!

I think you touched upon all the major points of Nightmare Juggernaut. A couple things:

Regeneration now only heals a unit once per round (on either its activation or during Lingering effects). This means 6 wounds will knock it out, not 10 (thank God).

Even at 185 points, honestly NJ might be a little under-priced. Aside from very lucky template users or Hit n Run models, this is the only model in the game that could hit 8 things in one attack. 5 HP - 37 points-per-AP - with regeneration and 20 AR is a little ridiculous and, if you use the Machine's Promise as you mentioned, it turns one of it's only downsides into a huge advantage.

Also, I don't consider having to carry a Grafter as "extra" points, or a disadvantage. Let's face it, if you play Skarrd, odds are you are going to carry a Grafter anyways.

However Nightmare Juggernaut is very singularly focused. You want it to be among 2-4 enemy models to maximize its attacks. It has 4 attacks, each with AS:7, PW:6x2- an absolute killing machine. For utility beyond combat however, there are no other nifty things it brings to the table. Take Mongo and how he provides heavy cover for his other units and causes Shockwave or how Numbskull has Tremor, for example. Even the regular Juggernaut has Pull which is particularly useful.

Playing against a Juggernaut, it would probably be important to send in single models against it and keep your forces relatively spread out. Think of it this way, Scuts for example will easily be able to hit one of these beasts and, since it's likely to make its save, Whiplash will bleed APs from it. At 60% chance to hit (minus range/cover penalties) and the fact that Whiplash stacks, it would be funny to see 3 Scuts at a total of 60 points keep a Nightmare Juggernaut completely locked down. Attacks with fire should be equally effective.

Similarly, its low PS 10 can be exploited. It's just begging to be targeted by a Symbiotic Implantation. Agreeably in a 500 point list this one would be unwise to field but similarly in 750-1000 points I think you run the risk of an opponent being able to neutralize it with much cheaper models.

Quote Originally Posted by Never Knows Best View Post
    Even at 185 points, honestly NJ might be a little under-priced. Aside from very lucky template users or Hit n Run models, this is the only model in the game that could hit 8 things in one attack. 5 HP - 37 points-per-AP - with regeneration and 20 AR is a little ridiculous and, if you use the Machine's Promise as you mentioned, it turns one of it's only downsides into a huge advantage.

Also, I don't consider having to carry a Grafter as "extra" points, or a disadvantage. Let's face it, if you play Skarrd, odds are you are going to carry a Grafter anyways.

Similarly, its low PS 10 can be exploited. It's just begging to be targeted by a Symbiotic Implantation. Agreeably in a 500 point list this one would be unwise to field but similarly in 750-1000 points I think you run the risk of an opponent being able to neutralize it with much cheaper models.
    Oh I agree with what you say and having the grafter requirement is far from a disadvantage - but looking at the 185 price tag alone is looking at a gun without the bullets. Guns need bullets, NJ needs a Grafter and most likely a psycogen caster...all 3 have roles and do separate things on the table.

I completely overlooked that ow PS...that does make brood players happy now wouldn't it

I'll throw this out there: what is the typical NJ list? Which grafter/psycogen user do you use with him?

I personally like the Dexus/Apprentice grafter/thrall...maybe another apprentice and then fill with buzz blades to fill the points up...
    http://dusktilldawngames.wordpress.com/<-----My blog check it!

New England CMoN FB Page <---- join up! Dark Age events posted here!! Outside the region welcome!

I'll do a response to this one tomorrow. Spoiler alert... Not terrible
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

#Ignore

List-wise, I'd say one should try to field multiple psychogenic-users with him, remember that the cult of metamorphosis also has Energize, granting the monster an additional AP. Thus, I'd use BOTH the Bone Doc AND the Grafter's Thrall, since they're both great models on their own; 55 and 65 points respectively. Bone Doc sticks with the juggernaught, Grafter's Thrall goes out and does other psychogenic stuff, since he's tougher and better at melee, but he's still available to throw an energize or promise the juggernaught's way. I'd probably use the Grafter's Apprentice to fullfill the grafting requirement, and fill up the rest of the points with zeal buzzblades, maybe a single harpy for objective-grabbing.

Once the regular Juggernaught comes out, I'd love to see a 1000-point list featuring The full set of flesh-machine monstrosities; it's be absolutely terrifying to see all those things on the field.