Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Weekly Model Discussion: Murtros
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Weekly Model Discussion: Murtros

A little late this week and so I chose a model that seems to get a lot of meh review. When choosing brood spawns most go MJB or Helexa before Murtros. This has been my observastions and it has been slightly touched upon in the Brood discussion thread.

What do you like about this model? what do you dislike?

Say a new player just purchased Murtros - now what do you add to make a decent list?

Here are the stats:

AP 4
    DEF 5
    ARM 18
    MOV 3
    PS 15
    HP 4

AG#1 AS 7 RF ∞ PW 8 RN RE MAL -
    [1] Kitache Staff
    •Victimize

Abilities:
    •Acid Blood
    •Regeneration
    •Bio-Gen (1)
    •Blok Stopper
    •Cause Panic
    •Command (2)

ACID BLOOD: This model ignores the automatic hits from Acid and Acid Blood. When this model loses HP from a
    melee attack all models in base contact suffer an automatic hit at PW: 2

BIO-GEN(x): Before deployment, this model gains (x) Bio-Gens. See the model’s appropriate Faction Document
    for more on Bio-Gens.

BLOK STOPPER: This model always has Light Cover. This model grants Light Cover if it is between the target of
    an attack and the attacker.

CAUSE PANIC: When a model becomes engaged with this model that model makes a PS Check. On a failure, it
    gains a Panic Counter.

COMMAND(x): (x) is how many times per game Command may be used. Once per activation, if this model is not
    squadlinking, it may spend 1 AP to have a friendly model that has not activated this round and is within 8 inches
    activate after them. That model may squadlink. Models activated by Command cannot use Command this round.

REGENERATION: When this model activates, or at the start of the Lingering Effects Phase, it heals 1 HP. This
    model may only heal 1 HP per round from Regeneration. This model is not killed when reduced to 0 HP, instead,
    give it a Dying Counter. Models with a Dying Counter are prone, may not spend AP, and all attacks on them gain
    +2 AS and +2 PW. If a model with a Dying Counter ever loses HP, that model is killed. If a model with a Dying
    Counter ever gains HP, remove the Dying Counter. When this model loses a Dying Counter, it may immediately
    stand up for no AP cost.

VICTIMIZE: When this attack hits a model you may give that model a Panic Counter or remove a Resolve Counter
    from that model.

Also keep in mind when running Murtros you have the option to choose his Brood Spawn: Terrorize

•All models gain the Ferocious Assault special ability.
    •Before deployment, select 1 of the following:
    •Select 1 Model Name. All models with that Model
    Name gain the Victimize weapon ability to all melee
    attacks.
    •1 Large-size or smaller model gains the Assassinate
    special ability.

can choose these models in his force:

•Murtros (Must be
    included in force)
    •Grist
    •POD
    •Plight
    •Bloat
    •Broodhound
    •Howler
    •Ratchet
    •Alpha Broodling
    •Broodling
    •Pud Swarm
    •Pud Thrower
    •Alpha Pud
    •Mucous Bloatling

I will hold off on my thoughts - I like this brood spawn and the models in it. The List I currently run has assassinating POD and Ratchets with victimize. It's fun seeing all the panic, KP, and paralyzed models all over the place...maybe thats why i'm looking to start slavers...
    http://dusktilldawngames.wordpress.com/<-----My blog check it!

New England CMoN FB Page <---- join up! Dark Age events posted here!! Outside the region welcome!

Murtros himself feels underwhelming for his points, but is still fairly effective. Def 3 vs shooting (thanks to blok stopper) makes him actually pretty hard to hit, plus high armor and 4 hit points make for a pretty resilient model when you factor in regeneration; he's not likely to go down unless put in front of a Saint.

His main problem is that he's simply not killy enough; though he has 4 ap, AS 7 PW 8 is not a guarantee'd kill, and Never Panic is a fairly common ability. In general, murtros' panic-infliction is defensive; reach allows him to hit multiple enemies at a time, and his best bet is to try to poke as many models as possible to generate panic; this reduces the chances of retaliatory strikes actually hitting, and makes your other models more likely to hit with their own attacks. Also, don't forget that if you keep to broodspawn, he hismelf has Ferocious Assault, meaning that he's got 3 sources of panic (Cause Panic, Victimize, Ferocious Assault).

Regarding Bio-gens, murtros's options are fairly narrow. His AP are too precious getting kills to be spent on Adrenaline and Toxic Vapours don't stack with Blok Stopper. Its really down to Acid Gland, or Symbiotic Implantation if you want to play the game of sub-optimal-fun-time-wackiness-look-at-me. Acid Gland massively increases his killing power and ability to deal with large numbers and healers; also remember that Murtros has Reach, so you can theoretically do fun things like charge a model, hit it and inflict panic, then spray acid on it with a greater chance of hitting.

Regarding his broodspawn, the big-deal models in it are the Howler and the Plight; those are the models unique to him.

Note that he's also got access to all the pud-controllers (apart from mandible). being able to throw around lots of panic makes puds much scarrier, though they don't benefit all that much from the Broodspawn itself (theoretically, one could give all puds Victimize, but thats reliant on HITTING, though once a model succumbs to a single pud's panic, but makes its save, all nearby puds can swarm the panicking model).

Between the Plight and the Howler and the lack of Numbskull or Sawblades, Murtros' Broodspawn is flush with crowd-control. the Howler is a monster that's at its best when charging into a bunch of weaker dudes; it has multiple ways of hitting multiple models, and its howl has a surprisingly high AS, making it a reliable and worthwhile attack that significantly increases the howerl's threat range. The hower's ability to Sunder Armor makes it...okay vs nasty elite targets like Saints, but still, the howler's at its best when clearing out menial bots, buzzblades, and x3K warriors with maximum efficiency and little chance of lasting retaliation.

I think when comparing this guy to the others (raw) he actually stacks up pretty good. Def 5 isn't the best, but an armor of 18 means he's not the easiest nut to crack. Combine that with regen, blok stopper, and Acid Blood; he's not the easiest guy to kill by any means, which means that him, MJB, and Helexia are indeed on the same level.

The problem, however, comes with his Brood Spawn. Sure, they all have ferocious assault, but you compare that to MJB's Furious Charge, or Helexia's Elusive, your looking at better options for the brood simply with that. Then you look at the other benefiets, hoping to have something, but while having something with a large base with assassinate, or someone having Victimize isn't all that enticing when you could have +1 Ar/stun/brutal or +1 MV/infiltrate/backstab.

Overall, the model itself is a nasty thing to take on, but the synergy available to him compared to the other two leaders is just nmeh

Ok, so here's a list for Terrorize that I've found amusing.

Murtros (Phosphorous Larva) - 125
    Howler - 185
    Pod - 75
    Pud Swarm (Assassinate) - 100
    Broodhounds (5) - 250

Total - 735

Murtros with phosphorous larva is obnoxious because blind does stack with blok stopper and also effectively makes murtros elusive making him almost impossible to hit outside of melee.

Howler is just insane and should be fielded any time you can get him. With 2 attacks at an effective PW of 11 on the charge, not much will survive once this guy gets in range. And even if not, his spray attack still gives him a pretty impressive threat range for such a large model.

The pod is there for the low(er) cost pud control. That being said you could just as easily field a pud thrower in this slot, I just find ingest too hilarious an ability to pass up

The pud swarm with assassinate....this is such an obscene trick that terrorize can pull. Because assassinate deploys you during the preparation phase, and the swarm doesn't activate until the end of the preparation phase, you can assassinate a swarm next to a key target and om nom nom nom them twice for a total of 10 attacks before an initiative roll is even made.

And finally, mass broodhounds, because infiltrate is awesome, and a bunch of infiltrators with vault and ferocious assault is pretty annoying. Also, if you don't feel like giving the swarm assassinate, then giving this group victimize isn't a bad way to go either.

Terrorize is actually a pretty solid list with a lot of options both for objective grabbing and hard hitting bruisers. I personally find them to be a happy medium between the 2 extremes of the other spawns.
    Last edited by Wormstrum; 03-26-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    You must die! I alone am best!

Rolled out the Pud Swarm assassinate (clever trick) against Mongo, every Saint, & Hoj. Net results, 0 wounds. But that same trick vs. softer high PV guys, stingers, arsenals, strikes, soul wardens, etc... Can do a lot of damage.

Mass broodhounds are good, but not Murtros exclusive.

I like the way FatherPheonix put it. I think it just sums up Murtros...

"The problem, however, comes with his Brood Spawn. Sure, they all have ferocious assault, but you compare that to MJB's Furious Charge, or Helexia's Elusive, your looking at better options for the brood simply with that. Then you look at the other benefiets, hoping to have something, but while having something with a large base with assassinate, or someone having Victimize isn't all that enticing when you could have +1 Ar/stun/brutal or +1 MV/infiltrate/backstab."
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

#Ignore

In a set of 10 attempts against Mongo the results went as follows:

0 wounds: 10%
    1 Wound: 0%
    2 Wounds: 40%
    3 Wounds: 30%
    4 Wounds: 20%

So given that they only average between 2-3 wounds, I would also agree that Mongo isn't the best thing to send them after. Although if you really need him dead, a 1 in 5 chance to trigger his fortitude before initiative is even rolled isn't bad. But yes, their primary role is to appear in the enemy's back lines and start eating squishy high priority targets (objective grabbers, healers, support pieces, etc.) without much chance of retaliation.

And while mass broodhounds isn't a terrorize exclusive strategy, I still find that having ferocious assault on them is really handy as the panic counters help to offset their somewhat poor defensive stats. Also, being able to include howler in the broodspawn's list really can't be overstated. Currently he is hands down the hardest hitting model in the entire faction, and being able to include him without giving up your broodspawn bonuses is great.
    You must die! I alone am best!

Quote Originally Posted by Wormstrum View Post

So given that they only average between 2-3 wounds, I would also agree that Mongo isn't the best thing to send them after. Although if you really need him dead, a 1 in 5 chance to trigger his fortitude before initiative is even rolled isn't bad. But yes, their primary role is to appear in the enemy's back lines and start eating squishy high priority targets (objective grabbers, healers, support pieces, etc.) without much chance of retaliation.

And while mass broodhounds isn't a terrorize exclusive strategy, I still find that having ferocious assault on them is really handy as the panic counters help to offset their somewhat poor defensive stats. Also, being able to include howler in the broodspawn's list really can't be overstated. Currently he is hands down the hardest hitting model in the entire faction, and being able to include him without giving up your broodspawn bonuses is great.
    Quick question, how are you getting 10 attacks? You get 5, but isn't it only 1 AP? If you are assuming it lives 2 turns, that can't be a safe assumption.

I never even thought of that strategy and let me say it is SOLID. It can easily take down softer high PV targets, you are the brood strategist that I like to see on here. That is just 1 nasty combo.

Howler is your real selling point here. I agree Howler is better than Scion and Numbskull, but where I run in to an issue is when I think is MJB and Numb or Helexa and Scion beter overall than Murtros & Howler.

#Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Hoj View Post
    Quick question, how are you getting 10 attacks? You get 5, but isn't it only 1 AP? If you are assuming it lives 2 turns, that can't be a safe assumption.

I never even thought of that strategy and let me say it is SOLID. It can easily take down softer high PV targets, you are the brood strategist that I like to see on here. That is just 1 nasty combo.

Howler is your real selling point here. I agree Howler is better than Scion and Numbskull, but where I run in to an issue is when I think is MJB and Numb or Helexa and Scion beter overall than Murtros & Howler.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
    That's what I get for looking @ the book. Then yes, w/ 2 AP and assassinate, that is one very nice combo.
    Last edited by Hoj; 03-28-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: I can't spell

#Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Wormstrum View Post

Mr. Black got me the answer, this is why my #s were off. I used the book (says 1ap)

Dang that's nice.

#Ignore