Comparison of Outcast and Skarrd Factions

Hi all,

I'm a new player trying to pick a faction. Outcast and Skarrd seem to appeal to me the most fluff-wise and aesthetically, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the two actually play, what kinds of units they can field, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

If it matters, I'll only have one person to play against for the time being, and they'll be playing Core.

Thanks!

well, I can't help you out with the outcast, the only experience I have with them was grinding a guy under my boots when I was first starting out. He isn't exactly the most strategic guy, even now, so I didn't do it on purpose.

Skarrd, however, is my main staple, and I specifically play two of the 4 sections of it, so I'll tell ya about the Generic and Blood Cult all day. What do you want to know specifically?

I can tell you that the generic/blood cult are very much a close range fighting group from the get go. They do have some ranged (bolas, Abomination off the top of my head), but even they are VERY close shots for any kind of effectiveness, and they are there to help your army get closer. The other thing about them is they are very much an army about self synchronizing. If you do start them, I would recommend finding the old starter box for them. Not as many points, but you can pick up the father separate. Reason I say that is that the Grafter (almost a need to buy) is in there. He....er....she allows you to bring some of the more important models to the table. I won't bore you with the rules, but they are all online anyway if you need to look at it.

Welcome.

Outcast is a faction I almost universally recommend to starting players. They are 1. pretty easy to learn as they have very few of those weird faction rules/abilities, 2. very versatile as almost every model has 2-3 special abilities and are kind of jack-of-all-trades built, 3. Are very competitive, even so much as winning their fair share of Immortal tournaments.

Since Outcast models are so versatile, their playstyle is very fluid. Your models will back up to take shots one moment only to converge on the enemy later in an all out melee frenzy. A forward charging model may take a break, back up and heal the wounded. I also feel they are a tad cunning since, admittedly, they tend to die pretty easily, you have to rely on heavy strategy, tactics and (I'll say it) tricks which, when working, methodically take an opponent apart.

It would be tough to pick between the two as both are really fun. Personally, a friend of mine plays Skarrd but I prefer Outcast.

Great, thanks for the replies.

Since Skarrd sounds a bit too similar to factions I've played in other games, and I'm looking for something a little different, I've decided to go with Outcast. I've also convinced my wife to give the game a shot, so we'll now have a Brood player as well.

Thanks again!

Just to hijack this existing thread...

I'm also looking at getting into the game, and there's a bunch of figs I like the look of in both the Skaard (mostly Toxic) and the Outcasts (plus Bounty Hunters.) My opponents have a variety of Forsaken and other factions, and really, I wouldn't want to pick a force just to fight anyone. So I do look for balance in the force. But since I don't have a lot of experience with the game, I ask: would going heavy-Toxic for my first force limit my options against the diverse opposition of Samaria?

(Really, it's ask here or flip a coin. I usually pick by whichever figs look better, but there's a lot of good lookin' figs in both the Mad-Max Outcasts and the freaky post-apocalytpic Toxic Skaard...)

If the question is: "between Outcast and Toxic Cult, which is better able to handle a diversity of opponent factions?" The answer is probably Outcast.

One reason would be that with Toxic Cult, your bread and butter is poison. From a diversity standpoint, there is an entire faction that is immune to poison: the CORE. There are other factions, like the Dragyri, that have an above-average count of "non-living" units that also would be immune to poison. Figure that in with the fact that Toxic Cult is, of course, immune to other faction's poison weapons and, also, a match against another Toxic Cult would of course be a wash.

Not only that, but there is something that gives the Outcast an edge that most factions don't have. A Slaver list has the ability to remove "Never Panic" from all enemy models. Since about 50-60% of the models in the game have Never Panic in some form, this is quite an advantage in terms of dealing with some of the other faction's strengths. Slavers, for example, is the only (current) faction that can make the Brood panic.

Now, both factions are very, very powerful (probably 2 of the most tournament-competitive factions in the game). As a side note, you will notice that, since an above average number of the powerful models of the Outcast are "Character" models, they may not be as powerful at higher point games (750 points, 1000, etc) as they are at lower point games. Of course I personally prefer the Outcast over Toxic Cult, so make of that what you will, but I own both.

Edit: I know you're not specifically picking against your friend but keep in mind that St. Luke is the one Forsaken subfaction that I fear the most when playing Toxic Cult, since he can field a lot of "Enviro Filters" models.
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 07-25-2014 at 06:25 PM.

All of the factions have positives and negatives, and many of the factions have at least one faction that counters them extremely well. For example, the Brood units have an amazing Regeneration ability that gives them back 1HP each round. However, playing against a Fire Caste army with attacks that have Cauterize ability (damage cannot be healed) counters them very well.

It really all comes down to what you think you might enjoy playing more. Personally, I can agree that Outcast can be very powerful and has some really good units - but I still like the Skarrd more. The concept of "a bunch of junker outcasts" is not nearly as interesting to me as "an army of cannibalistic madmen fueled by rage and death".

One thing I will say is that Skarrd tend to be very melee heavy, but the Toxic Cult has some additional ranged units that can better balance them as a faction.
    Last edited by Elric; 07-25-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    - Elric

"If you don't like something, hit it.
    If it hits back, shoot it.
    If it's still moving - RUN!"