New players, look here

Ok, I know that most of you by now have sat down and looked over the models, maybe some of you have looked at the rules, and your maybe down to one or two factions that your not sure what you want to play, so now you come to the forums to ask 'well, how does these armies play so I can see if it matches my play style'. Let me tell you of how I get started in almost all miniature games:

I find the models that I think look the coolest and I'll enjoy painting.

Way back when I first started in playing miniature games, I wasn't to sure what army I would pick in warhammer 40000. So, I turned to people who had played for a while and asked them what a new person should pick up. They told me Imperial Guardsmen. Now, I enjoy my guardsmen, yet, I have SOOOO many models that aren't painted because...well, I just don't enjoy painting the grunts. And when I have forced myself down to painting them, even a little bit, I loose interest in painting...well, any of it.

Now, lets skip forward to when I first started playing Dark Age. By this time, I learned about the above statement, and when I sat down and looked at the initial armies I skipped right over Forsaken, even though they would have been what fit a person who played the IG of 40k. Instead, I landed on a force that is brutal, upclose, and doesn't take shit. Is my play style of 'ALL THE MODELS ON THE BOARD BELONG TO US!!!' still around? Well....I own over 12 Buzzblades (not to sure on exact amount this morning) if that gives you any ideas. Did I pick the army based on the fact that I could field a large amount of models? Hell no, I picked them because I enjoy the look and I love when I sit down to paint them.

Finally, If you are still insistent about learning how an army plays, feel free to look around. I know for a fact that other people have asked, and been answered. However, I do grow tired of the constant threads of 'how does this army play' when it's been answered....possibly a sticky/locked thread of how they all play Mr. Black/AngelicOne?

There's no harm in newbs asking. We shouldn't discourage them from becoming active on the forums.

I agree that choosing the faction that interests you visually is normally the best bet. Every faction has enough options and sub-factions to try out different play-styles. Click on the various faction logos above and browse the model galleries.

Dark Age is actually as old as Warmachine... about 10 years now. The oldest factions, namely; Forsaken, Skaard, and Brood, are heavily inspired by the art of Brom: http://www.bromart.com/ The game has never been super-popular but those who enjoy it really enjoy it. Passionately.

Some of these models are showing their age but CMoN is slowly re-sculpting some of the models that don't look to hot by today's standards.

In 2011 Dark Age got a massive reboot and has seen regular additions since then in the form of new factions, sub-factions, and annual rules updates. Around August every year (right around GenCon) Dark Age rules and force lists get tweeked. If you don't like that idea, then run away now. It WILL get updated every year. It's their thing to involve the community and update the game as needed. The upside to that is they offer the rules, forcelists, and cards as free downloads. You can also trade in an old rule-book with CMoN at any convention they attend.

CMoN as a company always leave me with the impression they are always flying by the seat of their pants. Meaning, the company is still small and they have a lot of different games and properties to juggle. No sooner has their last kickstarter ended when they announce a new project. It's really tough to communicate when your so busy working on the next big thing. IMO Dark Age never quite gets the attention it deserves, but it tough to say exactly why that is.

But it's really all about your local community. if your local gaming store has a group of Dark Age players then you're in good hands. Check to see if you have a Legionnaire in your area. That's the CMoN volunteer demo corp. If you do, chances are they have a few extra factions for you to try out.

I do agree that we probably need a sticky thread for new players. Perhaps not this exact thread, helpful things like links to the faction documents/quick start area, some quick explanations of factions, etc. The site is very easy to navigate and all of these things are very easy to find but there's no reason not to include it on the forums as well and this would answer a lot of beginner questions.

At the same time, I like the new player questions, especially when they are discussing starting factions. Father kind of hit the nail on the head - everyone is looking for something different so a simple "this is what each faction does" isn't as helpful as being able to specifically say things like "I am looking for this in a faction" and have an experienced player point out the pros and cons. Plus it gets the site more traffic which is never a bad thing.

The above thoughts all are valid opinions in their own right. The OP was exactly correct that people should just pick the faction that interests them, and go with it. You are going to want a faction that you like the look of and really want to get immersed in. However, some players may want more technical info because how the faction plays in a game is more important to them than how they work. For example, we have one guy in our Dark Age group that has never assembled or painted a single model (he asks other players in our group to do it for him). He just likes to play the game. In a gaming community like this, there is certainly room for both viewpoints.

From a veteran player's perspective the "what faction" threads can clutter up the forums with info that was already discussed elsewhere. However, from a new player's perspective, they may not know all the right places to look - or whether or not to trust old information. Personally, I like seeing new threads and discussions on the forums, no matter who they are coming from. Active discussions lead to a more developed gaming community. Plus, if a possible new player runs across the forums here and sees active discussions taking place, they are more likely to check out Dark Age. We should do everything in our power to encourage new players here on the forums.

I tried looking around for posts about "what factions do what", but the info does seem to be scattered around various posts or outdated. That's a pretty huge mountain to climb though. I can't imagine what you would even put to briefly describe how factions operate; simply because every faction varies so much based on which models are fielded. When I started playing Dark Age a few years ago, someone explained the Dragyri as a faction with lots of low cost units (Slaves) that swarmed the enemy. Nowadays, I see fewer and fewer slaves being fielded in Dragyri armies. You'd almost have to put together a comprehensive list of all the army builds that work really well, and explain what the focus of that faction's army is based on that particular setup.

Do I think Mr. Black or some of our veteran players are capable of such a feat? Yes, of course! However, it's quite a lot of work to do something like this, and it would take quite a few hours / people to put it all together. This might be a good project to bring to the Legion team.
    - Elric

"If you don't like something, hit it.
    If it hits back, shoot it.
    If it's still moving - RUN!"

As a veteran gamer that was around for the initial launch of Dark Age 10 years ago, but then took a hiatus from the game as it's lack of regular updates and new models made me look to other games, I'm glad to see Dark Age back on track and picking up new players.

The Faction Debate is I think more important in this game as so much has changed over the years and will slightly change ever year... so something that at least gives new players an idea of how things tend to work, which forces play in different ways, and especially where they can get the most up to date information (assuming they have a hard time navigating the website and blog-updates) would be helpful.. there are a lot of rule books and faction lists floating around that can be pretty outdated and having something pinned on the forums to tell new gamers where to go and how things are changing would be a great idea.
    - Josh

As a potential new player to Dark Age, and a veteran player of many other games in the past twentyish years, a stickied thread to help new players find out about the different factions are priceless. People are just showing up and want to figure out where they want to go, what resources are available, etc.

Things are in the works. I know we say that about a number of things, but there are only a few of us....so it takes a little time.
    Throne of Angels Video Blog - ARE YOU WATCHING?

As a side note, if one of us DA veterans makes a New Player FAQ post, will you admins sticky it for us?