Brand new to the game and have questions about slavers

We got in the starter boxes at the store and several friends have picked them up. Most factions have been selected, but no one seemed interested in outcasts. I really like the look of the slaver models, so I'm probably going to start there. I've never played a game, and have no idea how to start building an army. So here's a laundry list of questions. Should I use mostly the characters, or do the slavers benefit from lots of wasteland warriors, scuts, and the like? Is Bonner Spyte worth the points, or is just a fixer better, and are either necessary? I really like Happy Hour, Hood, and the Gang Boss models, so I'm hoping you'll tell me there all awesome on the table. I assume with the Gang Boss, I'll want lots of Chain Gangers.

TL-DR: What models do I want to play 500 pts of slavers?

With any army, the characters tend to be higher points and that may limit your flexibility in a game. I know I personally like using characters as they tend to be really awesome looking and powerful in and of themselves. However, I'd definitely say that a mix of named models and standard models is the best way to go for most battles. If you play with objectives (like in most tournaments) that will also change how you put together your army. Generally speaking, Outcasts have a lot of medium-cost models and very few cheap ones. I'd capitalize on the cheaper units if you can fit them in your army, otherwise you may be too top heavy to really compete against some of the other balanced factions.

I'm never played as Outcasts myself, so I will leave that perspective to some of the other players who have. Never Knows Best rarely plays Outcast, but he does it well. I'm sure he will be posting on this thread soon.

From the perspective of a player against Outcasts - here are the models that I disliked the most (meaning, they are good for you):

Mongo: He is 160 points, and thus very expensive compared to most models. However, he is very useful as he is basically walking Heavy Cover with 4 HP and 18 AR. He also hits like a truck, which is very fun as well. Think of Mongo like Dark Age's version of "The Hulk"...

Cesspool: 70 points, and easy the best Bounty Hunter IMO that you can field with your Outcast army. His ranged and melee attacks all apply Rot when you Hit with the attack. Every Rot token (yes they stack) removes 2 armor from that model. So, potentially if you get Cesspool into melee range with a unit and use all of his AP on his 2-weapon melee attacks, you could stack up to -8 AR on your enemy in one round. That severely limits the survivability of some of the more defensive units in the game. At the end of the round your opponent can roll to remove the rot counters, but with only a 50% chance of doing so you have a good chance that some tokens will stick around to the next round. Oh, and he has Sidestep (avoids damage from melee / template attacks) and a DEF rating of 1 (the best in the game). He's insanely good IMO.

Wasteland Warriors: For 40 points, you get a model with a ranged hook attack that is annoying as hell to get away from. It is important to note that Hook only requires you to Hit an enemy model, so it makes no difference if you do damage. Once a model is hooked and anchored, it has to move towards your Wasteland Warriors (and away from whatever their intended target was in most cases). Their only other option is to spend an AP and take an automatic hit from you. Plus, WW's have Scavenge which makes them more powerful with each scavenge token they pick up.

Manhunter: 85 points, so he is twice as expensive as the basic Wasteland Warriors. However, he is worth his points. Both his ranged and melee weapons have Paralyzing Poison which I still believe to be one of the most powerful status effects in the game. As with Hook, all you have to do is Hit the target and it stacks a PP token on there for each hit. So, if you hit with both weapons in your attack group, that's 2 PP tokens. Stacking enough PP tokens on an enemy model until their AP is reached will effectively eliminate that enemy model. This works against any faction really other than the CORE (who are all Non-Living models) and a few models scattered throughout the other factions.

Scut: 20 points, and one of the most obnoxious models to play against. They only have 1 HP, low defenses, and due to their low cost they really aren't worth it for your enemy to spend AP chasing them down. A group of Scuts can circle the enemy and Whiplash them until they go crazy. Whiplash is not automatic upon hit, but it does add a Whiplash token for every attack that the enemy passes their AR save. Given that the attack is a 1x2 attack, it is very likely that they enemy will pass their AR save. So, either this low cost unit does damage - or it takes away another AP from the enemy model. At first glance people often overlook Scuts, but they can certainly be useful.

Fixer: 75 points, and a staple in any Outcast army. This guy is your faction's healer, so just having him around will improve the survivability of your entire army (if he is used correctly). Other than just healing HP on your damaged models, he also has Hang In There Boys and 3 Superior Maintenance tokens to compensate for weapon MAL.

I almost forgot Hoj! If you have 140 points to spare, almost everything on Hoj is great. I'd pit Hoj against some of the 160-170 point models in Dark Age, and bet on Hoj. He gets a ranged attack with Paralyzing Poison, and for melee attacks he can either use a RE or ARC attack that cannot be parried and has a 50% chance of Knocking Prone the target. As for the rest of what makes him awesome, I'd recommend you read his card. It's all pretty clear, and he certainly is worth the 140 points.

On a side note, I don't know much about the Slavers yet. What I do know is that many of their models have the ability to make "Never Panic" not even matter anymore (meaning that normally "Never Panic" models can still get panic counters from the Slavers). Sounds nasty to me.
    Last edited by Elric; 07-16-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    - Elric

"If you don't like something, hit it.
    If it hits back, shoot it.
    If it's still moving - RUN!"

Welcome.

I'm the only one in our group that plays Outcast/Slavers so let's see if I can't help you out (and I used to play them all the time until they banned me from using them ).

First off, healers. For the factions that have them, healers are a really good idea. Not only can they squeeze out a couple extra HP from your guys but, more importantly, they keep your guys from dying which can be really annoying to an opponent, since they often have to hit them extra times.

For this reason BOTH Fixer and Bonner are good picks, even if you won't necessarily field them in the same list. Bonner is an awesome model, far better than Fixer in that he has healing and Supreme Maintenance (SM helps mitigate against luck essentially, saving you from taking damage when you roll malfunctions and one of the penultimate abilities to focus on) AND an awesome weapon. However, since list building has to take into consideration points, there are times you are going to want to use the two main abilities and save 20 points by picking a lesser weapon; enter Fixer.

OR you could field both and double your effective healing; not recommended for smaller games like 500 points.

Quote Originally Posted by nilcarborundum View Post
    Should I use mostly the characters, or do the slavers benefit from lots of wasteland warriors, scuts, and the like?
    I wouldn't worry too much about Character vs. Non-Character. All Character means is the disadvantage that you can only field one of them. Instead, try and see patterns on what might work well together.

Some things that work well together:

Slavers w/ Victimize models: Slavers means almost all your opponents models can now Panic, even if they have a model with "Never Panic." To maximize this, you do however need to field models that cause Panic. The Weapon Ability "Victimize" is really your best option here, so models like the Unbound, Slavemaster, Hood, etc. are good considerations. Keep in mind, "Panic" is only a -2 to some of your opponents abilities so it isn't the end-all, be-all thing to focus on... but it's useful.

Slavemaster w/ Wasteland Warriors: Slavemaster gives all your Wasteland Warriors victimize on their ranged weapon. As far as I know, this is the only Ranged Weapon that can cause panic in this way, very powerful and a good combo to consider.

Slavemaster w/ Bounty Hunters: Bounty Hunters normally get +2 AS against 1 target; an enemy Character model that's "their bounty." This increases it to all enemy Characters. The downside? On average, opponents might only field 2 or 3 character models, but still a good perk.

I really like Happy Hour, Hood, and the Gang Boss models, so I'm hoping you'll tell me there all awesome on the table. I assume with the Gang Boss, I'll want lots of Chain Gangers.
    Hood and Gang Boss have yet to be released and their release hasn't been "teased" yet so it might not be until well after GenCon. Still, I can be hypothetical if you'd like. Keep in mind, these may just be my personal preferences.

The positive: Hood looks amazing. Your going to learn this playing more but basically the abilities Infiltrate, Gliding Deployment, or Assassinate are essential for positioning your troops around the board and securing strategic locations or flanking the enemy. Hood only has a 2" movement (on the low side) but does have Acrobatic which helps a bit. Everything else he has is awesome.

Also, keep points in mind. Your only likely to field 1 model 100 points or over in a 500 point list. There are other good 100+ point picks, and nothing is preventing you from running a 750 point list (and maybe 2 100+ models) or swapping out and trying different combinations but it's an important tip all the same.

Personally, I am less enthusiastic about Chain Gangers or Happy Hour. Happy has an awesome Blast (2) weapon but it can only be fired twice and I have bad luck hitting things with these. Blind is also not my favorite ability but others here really like it.

Gang Boss has some pretty nasty weapons and Superior Gang-Up with Distraction is a nice combo on the Chain Gangers. Push, I feel, is also necessary so I wouldn't field the Gangers without the Boss.

Scavenge is useful on the Gangers, but many of your models have Scavenge. Distraction is nice, but most Outcast have good range attacks that won't benefit from it. I guess I'd say that, to make the most out of these elements as well as things like "Human Shield," I would want to be playing a much larger list like 750 or 1000. At 500 I don't think your going to see max efficiency or usefulness by any means and they're going to take up a more useful model's spot.

TL-DR: What models do I want to play 500 pts of slavers?
    So let's skip the BS and get down to the fun of forcelist creation. A lot of this is personal preference and, since your newer, we'll focus a bit more on what you like and what's "fun" vs. trying to make a hardcore tournament list right off the start.

Again, Hood's not out yet and I wouldn't field Gangers without the Boss so, I feel like Oz/Pit Fighters are going to similarly fit that sort of melee, swarm style. They won't have the same numbers or combo appeal but make up for it in attack strength and survivability. All I did from there is add in some Wasteland Warriors from the starter box (honestly, you could just get a WW box, but other models in this box are very useful usually) and, since Slavers need the Warden, Coffersman or Slavemaster and only one of those is currently out (although Coffersman has been teased for release soon) I added him.

So...

1 Oz
    2 Pit Fighters
    3 Wasteland Warriors
    1 Fixer
    1 Slavemaster

And aside from the Pit Fighters, I use all of those models from one time to another (I just got Oz). Not a "perfect" list perhaps, but certainly a really good start and annoying for opponents to play against as well as a lot of fun using Hook, Retaliation, and Combat Reflexes w/ heal.
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 07-16-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elric View Post
    Mongo... Hoj!
    As a quick note too, neither Hoj nor Mongo can be fielded in a Slavers list. Still eventually worth picking up though as I will often switch from Slaver to non Slaver and, as mentioned, both of these models are awesome.

Do remember that Finn Deadeye's been released, she's not too expensive for one of the most powerful ranged models in the game (name someone better than her at shooting who isn't 100 points or more).

Personally, I'd say that if you're going to field a slavemaster (he's good, even if a bit pricy) you should field as many Wasteland Warriors as possible, at least 4. A scut or two is always a good choice; at the very least, they give you a scavenge token, and a panic'd target is easier to hit.

Cesspool is the bestest bounty hunter to use with Outcasts too. His Rot helps crack high armor; a problem that Outcasts can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Never Knows Best View Post
    As a quick note too, neither Hoj nor Mongo can be fielded in a Slavers list. Still eventually worth picking up though as I will often switch from Slaver to non Slaver and, as mentioned, both of these models are awesome.
    Ah good point, didn't even think of that. I was under the impression for some reason that Outcasts did not have force list restrictions, but I obviously forgot that the Slavers sub-faction does.

SLAVERS OF CHAINS BARROW: Force Special Rules

Under No Man: Forces of this sub-faction cannot include Brutes, Brute Anchors, Brute Pushers, Hoj, or Mongo
    Tyrants of Chains Barrow: Each force must include The Warden, a Slavemaster, or a Coffersman.
    Last edited by Elric; 07-16-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    - Elric

"If you don't like something, hit it.
    If it hits back, shoot it.
    If it's still moving - RUN!"

That was a whole lot more feedback than I expected! Thanks, it really helps put some things in perspective.