Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Resin Figures

Resin Figures

Having just found out that some of the Fire Caste figures are resin and not metal I was wondering if anyone had a list of which figures were resin and more importantly if that is becoming a trend for future figures or if metal is going to remain the standard?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

The Greater Fire Elemental is the one that I have but a friend had said that the Volcanic Phalanx and Brimstones were too. I also have an older LE Warden that is resin.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Your friend is correct. The spirit Lord is also Resin I believe, as is Rath'Zi. Not sure about some of the others.

This also holds true for the CORE, many of which are mixed Resin and Metal.

I do not know what signifies a trend or not, but I would imagine that some of it has to do with model complexity, such as the Brimstone's hoses to and from its tank, being easier to deal with in resin.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW View Post
    I do not know what signifies a trend or not, but I would imagine that some of it has to do with model complexity, such as the Brimstone's hoses to and from its tank, being easier to deal with in resin.
    I'd agree with you on that JamieW. The Nightmare Juggernaut for Skarrd is also resin. For that model at least, it would be rather heavy if it was solid metal.
    - Elric

"If you don't like something, hit it.
    If it hits back, shoot it.
    If it's still moving - RUN!"

There are a lot of factors that go into creating a model from start to finish, but on whether a model comes out in resin or metal is all a choice on how we can make it most affordable for you guys.
    Throne of Angels Video Blog - ARE YOU WATCHING?

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicOne View Post
    There are a lot of factors that go into creating a model from start to finish, but on whether a model comes out in resin or metal is all a choice on how we can make it most affordable for you guys.
    And really, thank you for that! I can't even imagine how much my Cabrakan would cost (and weigh!) if it was solid metal.

Good to know.

And really, thank you for that! I can't even imagine how much my Cabrakan would cost (and weigh!) if it was solid metal.
    Yeah I can only imagine how much some of these figures would weigh in pure metal. I still remember having to travel with my old Vor the Maelstrom Razorfang figure. Now that was a seriously heavy figure.

My only complaint with resin is that really thin objects like said Fire Caste spears can be a real pain to ever get straight unlike metal.
    Last edited by ToddMFerrullo; 08-07-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Let's just say you could classify the Cabrakan as a weapon were it made out metal. As far as price goes, judging on some of the same size figures in other ranges, such as dragons, you are looking at well over $125. Once a figure gets that heavy cost skyrocket.

While I prefer metal over resin, I can totally understand their reasons for having the occasional resin model. As long as they don't start selling the models as pre-painted I'm happy.
    - Elric

"If you don't like something, hit it.
    If it hits back, shoot it.
    If it's still moving - RUN!"

I'm actually a fan of mixed metal and resin. For example, a fire caste dude could have a resin body and metal arms. I've had bad experience with resin spears and such. The CORE Pathfinder's got a resin body and metal legs; I consider this ideal.

Metal has more heft and lasts longer; you can strip and disassemble metal. Plastic/resin is only an advantage if you're building multi-part kits that can be assembled in numerous permutations, like in 40K.

That's one itch that no other game scractches for me (and I don't WANT dark age to scratch it), is the conversions. I loved building a snowflake trooper with all the tacticool accessories and spikes, or custom-building an HQ unit like a Chaos Lord. That's actually why I initially picked up the CORE; still waiting on that upgrade pack, guys.