Thread: Row Houses...

Row Houses...

This is a project that I started a while ago. I have brushed off the dust and working to finish it. I might have to add more of a Mad Max feel to it in order to fully make it work but I still plan on using it for this. I just have to much time into it for me not to play with it. It is slow going because I am trying to learn new things while working on it. I will have some other pieces here shortly that may fit more in line that I will slap on here.
    Cheers,
    John...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Row-House-3_zpsbdf3713c.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	1290

Name:	Row-House-2_zps23415164.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	1291
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
    Mark Twain
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Totem-Badgers/

Really nice start! keep us updated as you make progress.

That's great! Looking forward to seeing you finish up!
    Throne of Angels Video Blog - ARE YOU WATCHING?

I have been jumping around from project to project. I got back to this one. Here is some progress on it. The dirt is done and I have started painting the garbage on the other. The wood is where I think I want it. I might touch it up after other objects are painted. I also painted the backpack and the cloth. Trying to put enough effort into it so it looks good at arms length. C&C welcome.
    Cheers,
    John...

Name:	Row-House-11-5-142_zpsb7d36394.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1300

Name:	Row-House-11-5-141_zps762e3640.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	1301
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
    Mark Twain

They both look really good. If I might make a suggestion, perhaps work some more "artificial" texture into the terrain. I'm talking about things like scrap metal, scavenged materials, rebuilt industrial ruins, scaffolding, and construction wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberbeast View Post
    They both look really good. If I might make a suggestion, perhaps work some more "artificial" texture into the terrain. I'm talking about things like scrap metal, scavenged materials, rebuilt industrial ruins, scaffolding, and construction wrecks.
    Thanks dude.

Thanks for the suggestions. When you mention adding more material, are you talking about on top (the garbage area) or on the front areas? Do you have specific placement ideas of where those items could be added? My struggle is the overall theme of the piece. Universal or specific to one game system. Also the other struggle is play-ability. That one is the toughest to overcome. Keep the suggestions coming. They're great. Help to have another eye look at the project and helps me to step back and take another look at it.

Cheers,
    John...
    Mark Twain

Looking at the building fronts particuarly, I see lots of wood, stone, brick, clay. It could almost be a historical piece, qnd quite a lovely one at that. What it needs to make it fit in with the post industrial collapse theme of Dark Age is some scrap incorperated into it as well, particuarly on the building facades. Try some corrugated metal sheeting for walls and roofs, some rivited windows, doors and shutters like off a ruined vehicle, some hazard flooring with studs in it, and especially some scrap signs hanging outside some of the doors, and the ubiquitous oil drum and other refuse scattered here and there.

Think "Mad Max".

Those are some great ideas. That is the internal struggle with this piece. I have put so much time into items like the Totem Pole do I then convert it to make it fit only one game? Or do I add some of what you mention here and there to give an overall feel as to keep it more generic in nature. This line of thinking is primarily due to the time spent on the project. Now I will post a smaller project that does fit more in line with what you may be thinking other than the scrap metal. However I can still add the metal so I may just do that.
    Cheers,
    John...
    Mark Twain