Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Monthly model discussion: [jan,'15] dedlock

Monthly model discussion: [jan,'15] dedlock

Happy New Year!

Who said you had to wait until a model is released before discussing it?

Actually, this month's focus is on a model that was previously released, discontinued, and now being reintroduced. I give you...

Dedlock
    Listed Faction: Forsaken

Because this is an old model, it's difficult to get a capture of the old card but luckily I was able to get my hands on a few of the older books. Of the books I have, I can only find Dedlock in Genesis and Exodus and the stats remained consistant:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AP: 4 DF: 2 AR: 14 MV:4 PS: 15 HP: 2 PV: 86
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Attack Group #1: [2] AS:6 RF:2 PW:4 RN:CA MAL:20 "Point Blank" Machine Pistol
    Attack Group #2: [2] AS:7 RF:2 PW:4 RN:30 MAL:20 "Spray and Pray" Machine Pistol

Special Abilities:
    Immune to Poison
    Elusive
    Hatred (Skarrd)
    "Spray and Pray": A weapon with 'Spray and Pray' is capable of unleashing an incredible amount of ammunition in a very short time. A Unit must announce it is using Spray and Pray immediately upon being Activated. For this Activation the Unit doubles the amount of Ranged Assaults that can be made per AP. Due to the Extreme recoil of this effect any Unit using Spray and Pray has a -4 penalty to its TN for the Spray and Pray weapon in addition to any normal modifiers to each RA attempt. Spray and Pray may only be used once per Game due to the extreme amount of ammo exhausted in this maneuver. A Unit may not Aim when using Spray and Pray.

Comments on the old Dedlock:

*The first thing we can see is a focus on many, many ranged assaults. This is the first model to make use of the [2] RF:2 powerhouse that we now see prevalent among the Slavers. I will note that if using the "Spray and Pray" ability, you decrease your attacks by 20%. What this means is essentially you are losing 1/5 of your accuracy for 2 extra attacks per AP or, in other words, this is cool in concept but a bad deal overall.

*The movement 4 is the only other thing that really sticks out but then I remembered, "Ah, back in these days they used centimeters." 4 centimeters is a dismal 1.5 inches, or a very slow-moving gunboat.

*This also means that RN:30 = ~12" range and, in today's standard, that's pretty darn good! If we can get that to [4] RF:2 without too many crazy penalties the concept has a lot of game theory potential.

The New Dedlock

This is the teased image of the new Dedlock sculpt, letting us drooling masses know her arrival may come sometime in this new year. As we don't know exactly what her stats will be, we can nonetheless speculate on what we think/would like her final form to be...

Speculation

Which faction...

She originally appeared as part of the Forsaken faction but at that time we only had a few Saints, the Ice Caste and the Skarrd. The game has grown since then, giving her many more options that would still fit her background.

The Salt Nomads is the obvious front runner. They've been getting a lot of play since being teased incessantly since Fanaticism and earlier - teased even moreso than the infamous Shadow Caste. The Salt Nomad reveals seem to play it loose on the idea that technology is supposed to be scarce on the planet, making her high-tech appearance fit well. Furthermore, as the Salt Nomads in all likely hood will be a sub-faction of the Outcasts and as the Outcasts are, on occasion, reluctant allies of the Forsaken, her being formerly a Forsaken model fits as well.

The other obvious choice is adding her as a Bounty Hunter. I don't believe the Bounty Hunters have had an addition since Phadras and Maxamus so this would be a welcome addition to this group and it makes perfect sense - being able to use her as a gun for hire for both the Forsaken and Outcast.

The other idea that she might be solely Forsaken - perhaps an addition to the new Prevailer sub faction - seems an unlikely fit to their playstyle even if it is the best fit with her Canonically.

Stats?

There isn't a ton to glean from the old Dedlock that is terribly helpful. She's a bit average in most respects with the exception of the emphasis of firing A LOT. This will most likely be the focus of the new model as well.

Now, the Slavers sub-faction of Outcast already has dibs on being the most firing-capable list thus far, so it will take a lot for any new list (IE Salt Nomads) to become known as the primary gun-line force. Still, Dedlock isn't really a unique model unless she is slinging around a lot of bullets. Having the first [4] RF:2 model could be very, very interesting.

Having her at slow movement, 2" let's say, would further make her unique. Almost Thumper-like, she would be moved into position and act as a living turret. I will say however that I do hope "Spray and Pray" doesn't make an appearance in it's current form - as the penalty does not seem worth the benefit.

Utilization...

Dedlock is most likely going to be Character or, if not, at least 1[1000]. If the many, many shots makes her worth fielding alone or whether we, as players, would expect more SAs remains to be seen.

Also, as her original cost - 86 points for 2 HP - isn't terribly relevant, we can only speculate that she'll most likely be between 70 and 90 points. Keep in mind that for 75 points, Finn Deadeye bears a surprising resemblance to Dedlock, at least in playstyle concept and stats. Comparing her to Finn and using Finn as a template I think would be the best way to make sure Dedlock becomes unique and yet still useful.

Your Thoughts?
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 01-02-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Is there a history of models changing factions? If not, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that she'll stay Forsaken? Did she belong to any certain Saint?

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Is there a history of models changing factions? If not, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that she'll stay Forsaken? Did she belong to any certain Saint?
    In Genesis, Mark was the only Saint. In Exodus Mary was added but with the catch that neither books appears to have sub-faction rules meaning that you could most-likely field any model in the Forsaken together. In both books, Dedlock appears to be in the category of what a "generic" Forsaken model would be today.

Another twist is that models such as Nathaniel, Orchid, X'Cess, Lucky etc. which are also listed as Forsaken models. Later these models were changed to be in the "Bounty Hunter faction" so yes, to your other question, it does appear some models have a history of being changed around. Dedlock is listed in the same area of the forcelist as some of these other Bounty Hunter models so that guess isn't entirely off base.

In regards to the "Nomads" guess, there really isn't anything to go on besides the picture teased on the Dark Age Facebook Page. Here, the phrase "The Nomads Do Not March Alone" is just cryptic enough to fuel the speculation as well as the fact that it was posted at around the same time as a lot of the Nomad's concept art.

Link here:
    https://www.facebook.com/darkagemini...55431797866265

That's right, I saw that vaguebooking-post, but I didn't have the history knowledge to put it i to context. Salt Nomads sounds very likely, in my opinion.

Addendum!

Here she is and all I have to say is... I was close:

Summary now based on the actual card stats:

* 3/3 AP and movement is average, as predicted (although thankfully a lot quicker than her old card). 2/14 defense/armor is a little better than average and exactly where she used to be (it would seem getting shot in the face does not hurt your defense or armor none). Range 8 is just shy of where I'd want/expect her to be but we'll let it slide.

So... let's talk about those attacks shall we?

* First, Proximity Strike (3)... holy crap. A 3" template is huge and, to date, there aren't a ton of things (if any?) that can cause damage in this wide an area. You should be able to get 2-3 models under it every time its fired as it's simply not feasible for an enemy to keep their army that spread out throughout the game.

The problem I've had with Proximity Strike in the past however is the "make separate attacks against all models" part of the rule, and with Dedlock it looks like she isn't going to help shed the stigma. Each of those separately rolled attacks takes a negative range penalty. With an average model defense of 5 and, most likely, an average range penalty of -2, your rolling a lot of 8's - that's not a lot of hits at 40% with only a power of 6 behind them for wounds... Aiming only increases the odds of one of those targets, even with enhanced optics.

* But that's not where it's at. Mathman says, stick to No Mercy! Why randomly wound a few underlings when you can mow down a single target? Aiming can get the odds of two hits to almost even, both which would be 6x2. Split the attacks for the last AP on two of the underlings and get 10% better odds than the Proximity equivalent.

No Mercy makes Dedlock worth her points and, should she prove to be available to Slaver lists it will very tempting to either replace Deadeye or supplement her in one of my favorite forcelists.

Interesting.

If she's a Bounty Hunter (her faction symbol indicates she is, though she lacks the Bounty Hunter rules), she's certainly going to have a place in some Outcast lists. I'm less sold for Forsaken - I think a Banger holds up well against her if you're running John. A comparison to a Man Hunter gets interesting, depending on what role you need the model to play.

In lists with Sunder/Rot... ew. Just ew. Dedlock gets nasty.

And just as some Dark Age history, IIRC the Forsaken lists in the Genesis/Exodus days were considered independent. So you could build Mark from Genesis or Mary from Exodus (there wasn't a "Generic Forsaken" list, hence some of the models that became Bounty Hunters were originally Forsaken models tied to a specific list - e.g. - Cesspool to John, X'Cess to Mary, etc).