Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tim's 1-A-Week Painting, Taco Challenge! (Warning! Silly) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Well, we can't have Never winning the Immortals AND all the tacos. I think it's my moral imperative to make sure he at least splits the taco pool /s.

I'm currently up to 30/52 for the end of July, putting me on track for 1/week. I backloaded a lot of painting for Gencon to the two days before the 'con to some insanity with work. Here's the results of my "48-hours-before-Gencon" painting rush:

In order, we have an LE Sister of Charity (who's presence on the battlefield confused the hell out of John Carter in the Immortals. And no, not just because someone brought a SoC), old Bone Doc, Grafter, Mean Jellybean, and a Pud Thrower. The Brood were, frankly, rushed. However, they look good enough on the table and I feel like the basing/decent work on the rest of the army hid some of slop in their painting (at the table at least).

With that said, seeing some amazingly painted armies at Gencon, particularly for the game Infinity, really inspired me to step up my painting game. After years of playing games with 40-50 models per side, I'm finally spending most of my hobby time playing a game with ~10 guys per side. And hey, if I need to paint ~1/4 the number of troops, I might as well make them look really good.

So, with that in mind, here's my first attempt at something a little outside my normal range.

This is my first attempt at NMM in a very, very long time. It needs some work (I need to do a better job capturing directional lighting), but I don't hate it. While I recognize this isn't going to get a 10 on CMON, it's a step up for me and I hope to have a "pretty" army before the next convention (Capticon or Adepticon for me).

I'm going to spend the rest of the year finishing up the Forsaken I got at Gencon and maybe some Dragyri. Oh, and some more Blood Cult.
    Last edited by McNs; 08-08-2015 at 05:57 PM.

August update! This month takes me up to 34/52. I'm going to finish off the year with Air Caste as well as one or two Forsaken (mounted Mark). I've got a few final "workman" entries for my Blood Cult as well as a 2-hour NMM test I did on a Forsaken faithful.

Here's a group shot.

Here's Mr. Two-Hour NMM:

He's not going to win any awards, but I'm getting happier with my NMM. Gotta keep practicing, but it's getting better than some (unshown) first attempts at the technique.

SEPTEMBER

August and September got a little behind but I'm mostly caught up now until the end of the year. While I'm pretty excited about most of the models I have left for the year and even really happy with a couple of them, I'm mostly looking forward to 2016 already when I have some new CORE models to paint as well as some up-coming models that look pretty exciting.

August Models

Greater Storm Elemental and Squalls

I was actually really happy with the way these turned out and should have taken more pictures. With the squalls I mostly just painted them white and washed them with a color scheme I thought would work well with their element. Lightning was my favorite and the lightning effect I got on the ground looks really good (of course, the squalls don't have an element now, but still.)

These models were all resin and definitely painted differently than the first batch of elementals I painted but also I think some of my techniques are improving a bit. So overall I think these look better, and I don't even play Dragyri.

September Models

Old Ma and Skars

A lot of the upcoming batches are Bounty Hunters, since Outcast released a lot of them. Old Ma and Skars, stat wise, were too intriguing to pass up.

Nothing too fancy here. I thought I did okay on the terrain (a cardboard box for Skars to live in), the weaponry turned out so-so. Mostly I was happy with some of the detail I got by using a finer point brush. You might be able to tell by the picture but specifically I was able to get a cherry on the tip of Old Ma's cigarette and individual bandages on Skars.

Dedlock and John Carter

Really simply John Carter turned out okay, Dedlock not so much. I probably really need to learn color shading and how to achieve a less glossy look since these are things I struggle with on models that primarily have a main color.

With John I liked the pose, leg kicking in the air, and the detail I was able to put on all the various different bits. I will say it is always awkward painting someone you've met in person.

Captain Jake Flay
    AKA Space Pirate Captain Harlock

You can't have the title "Galactic Pirate" and not expect us nerds to "go there."

For those of you not familiar, there is a popular Anime Series revolving around a stoic, crazed space pirate named Harlock. (The mythology would even allow for Flay and Harlock to be the same person). So naturally, I had to try.

This is probably one of my favorite paint jobs so far. From the trademark eye patch down to a piece of the bridge of the Arcadia for basing. I was able to get a part of the Skull on the shirt even though it was partially covered.

Work/life have been a touch bananas, so September was not the best month for painting for me. That said, I was able to finish an Air Caste Wail (in NMM):

She needs basing and the crystal needs some more contrast/gloss varnish. Otherwise, not so bad.

Alright, another month, another four models! This puts me to 39/52, so I need to paint 13 more models in the next 8 weeks. The good news is, Dave Moffit's 1000 point challenge is coming to Chicago on 12/05. I'm planning to take my new Forsaken to that, so that should motivate me to paint all the things.

Anyhow...

Here's the four clear resin Embers I painted (for my burgeoning Fire Caste):

Yes, I actually put paint on these. Dry brushing these well was surprisingly difficult to male look smooth, but I'm happy with the yellow, orange, red transitions on these guys.

December Update: 100% Taco achieved!

So, I finished 1,000 points of Forsaken in November so that I could take part in the Moffit 1000 Point Challenge^TM that the Chicago Infinity Players were kind enough to host. While, unfortunately, Dave couldn't attend due to a work conflict, five of us still got together on Saturday and had a jolly good time (unfortunately, my trip was taco deficient, which I'll have to rectify next time I visit Chicago). Anyhow, here's 15 painted Forsaken models:

Field Medic and Weaponsmith

Lucky and Cesspool

3 Banes and a Bane Leader

2 Firestorms and a Firestorm Leader

3 Junkers

... and the main attraction...

Saint Mark on his grafted dragon

So, math says that puts me at 54/52 models. I felt bad claiming dry-brushed Resin embers last month, so I decided to paint 56 models (since 4 don't really count). So, I need 2 more to get back to parity. Speaking of which...

2 Thornwinds

So... trial completed; I shall feast on the flesh of tacos before the 'morrow!

Seriously though, this challenge was great motivation for me to actually finish armies. I don't think I've ever painted this much painting before. To whit, I finished a giant Skarrd Blood Cult army, a giant Forsaken army, a good sized Brood army, and a few Dragyri models. While I've got a lot of armies to go (Salt Nomads are probably next), my minis are looking a lot better than they were 12 months ago. Moreover, looking at my first Skarrd versus my latest Forsaken, I feel like my painting has gotten incrementally better. I'm not anywhere near competitive painting yet, but I feel better about the work I put out.

So thanks for the challenge idea, Never and Tim!

OCTOBER

End of the Year Wrap Up.

I pretty much finished all the Bounty Hunters in a row so Jarl Ramsaur is my last one in the string followed by militia which I've been looking forward to and super-happy to play.

Jarl Ramsaur (AKA Travis)

I oft get criticized for some of the more-cheesy things I do with models and creating a Viking ship masthead to go with Jarl's base definitely falls into this category. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out and he looks decent. Cheesy, but decent. Not that it matters much, until they fix Jarl's stat line he's going to sit in the box for a while. Sorry Travis.

Militia

Not the most fun bits to put together... a lot of "elbow" issues in this bunch as well as a missing hand. I initially thought I put too much "armor" color coating on the two males but people tell me it looks okay. I much prefer the red scheme to the female model, though her arm bends a little awkwardly and it wasn't super-easy to fix that up.

NOVEMBER

There probably seems to be a "best for last" vibe to my list and that's not untrue. Even before they were tweaked, Skylancers were intriguing. Now their stat line is pretty awesome. The models themselves are pretty cool also.

Skylancers

They are the basis of some of my more competitive lists now so I'm really happy I purchased them but moreso I'm very happy with the way they turned out. I wanted to get that "flight" jacket look but make their weapon more space-age (don't ask me why they have those trident-ends, my advice to others is to clip those off and go a different route). One of the jet packs arrived broken so I just left that one "grounded" and I got the idea for the broken ruin terrain from the left over Lasher bits that I had from making my Alpha Pud (two lashers gave their lives to the making of the Alpha pud, RIP).

The Sight

Here's the man himself. I'm actually happier with the regular Skylancers than Sight... I am sooo sick of capes - NO MORE CAPES!

I have been getting really good at that ceramic look around the gun stock. It's a brown washed fleshtone to consistantly give me that weathered ceramic look and I've been using it on all sorts of things now.

DECEMBER

And here is the best for last. All the Core models I've painted this year.

DRG-Y (alternative pose)

I ordered 2 DRG-Y at the beginning of the year but 1 took forever to get here (the first was a part of one of the previous month's paintings). I have them here side by side mostly because I wanted the same scheme and they do look similar, which is good.

The Trick with the DRG-Y is it only comes with 1 Pose and that pose is fairly cemented in and distinct BUT having two with that same pose looks stupid. So I did my best at a try with an alternative pose.

Legs back and running, hand outstretched it has a sort of "catching a fly ball" feel to it that I wasn't ecstatic about. I'm not really sure how one would achieve this pose in regular combat - perhaps some Action-Jackson-esque "diving from an explosion" maneuver. The colors all work though and one thing is for sure, it definitely doesn't look like the same pose.

Tseudo

I was really happy with the way this model turned out. I've noticed however that my Core now are starting to have a distinctive "blue" feel to them (if they were green, they would die) that was unintended. I think this is because I went with metalic silvers too heavily on models like my Rends and was disappointed, and I can't pro-paint grey well enough so that's out. So blue it is.

I think I still have some work on this one... the base needs to be washed a bit and the crystals could use some touch up and gloss. It's not super-urgent, Tseudo doesn't get played often enough.

L-CST

Yes, I painted Locusts up like Bees. So? I tried it and now I really like it. It's a simple enough model and I feel some of that color really helps bring out something special to an otherwise undaunting sculpt. Still cheesy but whatever.

Icon-CL457

Okay, before you say anything, let me tell the story:

For Gencon, for at least one of the tournaments I wanted to do something no one had previously done before - play the big Core 200 point model Icon in a tournament. There's one problem; Dark Age doesn't allow Proxies but they do allow conversions.

So I had to build this guy. I snipped parts off an extra Churgeon, Pathfinder as well as some bits from a Flames of War Kit and some other odds an ends. I was really, really happy with the claw arms but there just isn't a good enough way to build a robot head (and I didn't want to just use another robot head, it would look weird). So yes, the head looks odd but I think the effort worked pretty well. I wanted him to look beefy and unique, to have a realistic idea of how the arms could work, but most of all I needed there to be no doubt it was an Icon as per the rule.