Summer Dark Age League: "Core vs. Samaria!" (Battle Reports included)

This thread is for our groups 3rd League. First we did Warlords, then "Trials."

For this next one we thought it might be neat to play a series of games over a month and a half or so where every game has at least one player focusing on one faction.

So for the summer, the faction we're focusing on is...

THE CORE!

That's right, the selection is in and if you've ever been curious about the Core, can't seem to find a way to make them win or otherwise want to just tune in and watch our group bash each other over the head with murder-bots than this thread is for you!

Below will be the statistics, lists and even some battle reports of our league...

CORE vs. Samaria
    Core Defeats Dragyri, Air Caste
    Core Defeats Dragyri, Fire Caste
    Core Defeats Forsaken, St. John
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 05-25-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Game 1

Elric's Core vs. Cecil's Dragyri (Air Caste)

Game: Dark Age, 2013 Rules/ 2014 Faction Documents
    Map: 4'x4' "Abandoned Tower"
    Scenario: Slaughtering Fields w/ secondary objectives
    Size: 750 Points

Elric's Core (750)
    [Final Score:11]
    1 Churgeon
    1 Nexus
    2 Zetamax (proxied)
    2 TB 13
    2 Thumper
    3 Menial Bots
    Core Upgrades:
    Nexus: Drill, Saw
    TB #1: Combat Drones
    TB #2: Flamethrower

Cecil's Dragyri (720)
    [Final Score: 5]
    1 Yovanka
    1 Spirit Lord
    1 Soul Warden
    3 Zephyrs
    1 Lightning
    1 Thunder
    1 Wind
    1 Spear Slave
    Dragyri Psychogenics
    Yovanka: Spinning Dervish, Ride the Wind, Gust
    Spirit Lord: Lightning, Tornado
    Soul Warden: Mend the Winds, Storm Forge, Shifting Crosswinds

Result:
    Core Defeats Dragyri, Air Caste
    11 to 5

Commentary:
    Force Creation:
    I didn't watch this match as closely as I'd have liked, Elric hadn't played Core all that often and was using one of my lists while Cecil is our seasoned veteran Dragyri player (so, we're really not going to find a better Air Caste opponent for the Core).

The first curious thing is Cecil only selecting 1 Spear slave, thought he had 30 more points to spend here. At least 1 was probably in an attempt to find and use objectives early and take advantage of the preparation phase activation; no additional slaves might have been an attempt to limit Elric's attempts to gain easy-kill objectives off of them or limit the number of scavenge tokens on the field.

Also, I will say when I've faced his Air Caste in the past at 500+ he usually doubles up on the Squalls - to build redundancy and reduce the chance of losing one and not being able to cast storm forge. For Psychogenics, his list emphasizes one of the critiques I have of the new spell-selection system; he's selected 8 out of the available 9 psychogenics, not because he thought a variety would be useful, but because he had to. I know the critique before was that people would just double up and select the same spells every game but many of his selected spells were never cast... which ones were cast over and over? The same ol' spells as usual

Again, Elric used one of my lists and I've liked the double Zetamax combination. Kaboom (16) is the major issue with them but if you can avoid that they are pretty awesome. I will say that using 2 Thumpers is a pretty evil move.

The Game:
    Cecil would like to point out that the rolls for him were absolutely horrible. He failed to get Storm Forge off the entire game; one of his Squalls were killed really early and he failed Mend the Winds on more than one occasion.

Without those extra slaves and with Elric taking combat drones, the Dragyri were outnumbered 14 models to 10 and a couple extra sling slaves might have helped a little at least chip away at the Drones and Menials.

The Zephyrs pulled their weight although Cecil forgot about Soul Link, a pretty critical oversight. Yovanka was doing pretty well also but a Drone or two was able to pin her down and even put a wound or two on her.

Meanwhile, Elric used his model count advantage to bleed activations, forcing the Dragyri closer, and closing on them in a Thumper barrage (I wonder who taught him how to do that?). This mean the Core had a fairly comfortable position right behind no man's land and controlling mid field the entire game, something Air Caste usually does well at with Tornado, while the Dragyri had to use their control spells like Tornado defensively to hold the line and attempt to keep retreating, rallying and jumping back into the forward lines of Menials.

In the end, Slaughtering Fields is often ultimately determined by who ever tables their opponent and this match is no different. Core started with a model advantage which turned into a larger one with a few early shots and then just leaned on it, without the Dragyri having anything to tip the scales back. Final score included 7 points for the Core from the Primary, the Dragyri 4, with 4 to 1 secondaries completed, respectfully.
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 05-25-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Another great battle report as always Never. I like the idea of so many CORE lists for me to steal...I mean borrow.

Game 2

Never's Core vs. Coolstick's Dragyri (Fire Caste)

Map: 4'x4' "Ruined Fortress Bridge"
    Scenario: Ancient Secrets w/ secondary objectives
    Size: 750 Points

Never's Core (750)
    [Final Score:15]
    1 Churgeon
    1 Nexus
    1 Recovery Unit
    5 Menial Bot
    1 Ghost
    1 Thumper
    2 TB 13
    Core Upgrades:
    Nexus: Combat Drones, Saw
    TB 13s: Rending Saw
    Recovery Unit: Alpha Programming

Coolstick's Dragyri (750)
    [Final Score: 6]
    1 Rath'Zi
    1 Spirit Lord (Fire)
    1 Soul Warden
    1 Inferno
    1 Pyre
    1 Brimstone
    1 Artificier of the Alteghran
    1 Razor Slyth
    2 Cavewing Slyths
    Dragyri Psychogenics
    Soul Warden: Flame Gout, Soul Fire, Fiery Resolve
    Spirit Lord: Set Ablaze, Ring of Eternal Flame

Result:
    Core Defeats Dragyri, Fire Caste
    15 to 6

Commentary:
    Force Creation:
    Coolstick is the rookie of the group and is a little stubborn; you will notice his list building is a little chaotic and he avoided a lot of the suggestions of the group (later regretting them). Still, the force has merit for 750, Rath'zi in combination with a lot of things that cause fire is certainly doable; moreso if fire gets updated (we used the current card stats).

For me, a few of our players have said they don't really want to play Core against me since I know their weaknesses but that's really what needs to happen I think. Here I used one of my best 750 lists I have without proxying.

The Game:
    There should be no secrets anymore when it comes to how I play; I deployed TBs first on one flank hoping to get Cool to match me (and spread out his forces) and that's what happens. I have a clear model advantage, 14 to 10, so I want to exploit that further by splitting him up.

The rest of my Deployment is overloading the bridge. My hope is that less than 100% of his forces will meet more than 80% of mine. He does deploy his Slave on that flank though so I need to guard those objectives. I send a Recovery Unit that way and my Nexus is hugging the bridge wall between the bridge entrance and an access stairway on the right flank along with some menials.

Menial bots are very deceptive to an opponent I find. They sneak up and, if they make it to the front lines of the enemy (which they often do, due to their 2 HP) it's usually with a scavenge counter or two and they wreak quite a bit of havok.

I win the right flank with my Recovery Unit and see an opportunity on the left for my TBs to vault into a tower and grab the Relic early. I pretty much hold the relic here for the full rest of the remaining 7 rounds and this wins me the game. I actually did make 1 risky move which was, when the Spirit Lord walks under the bridge, the first TB 13 jumps down and almost finishes him off. I pulled my second TB away from the objective to do so, gaining me an automatic wound.

Rath was there also and this pulled him away as well. Had he killed my TB 13 he would have (probably) gotten the Relic for at least 3 of the remaining 4 rounds. As it is, my TB survived, leaped back into the tower to safety, and now Rath was no longer covering the bridge with his Scion of Flames.

Which was important since, though I was winning the battle on the bridge, at any given time 3 or 4 of my models was on fire. He killed my Thumper early with a lucky Pyre shot and an unlucky critical armor fail. The Pyre put some wounds on some small bots and dished out a ridiculous amount of flame, eventually able to bring my Churgeon down as well but not before he got rid of the Pyre.

The timer was starting though as, since my right flank was cleaned up, my Recovery Unit and several small bots, now juiced up with some Scavenge Counters, were making there way over to the middle. My Recovery Unit reanimated the Thumper and Churgeon. Most of the bot wounds were cauterize so no help there.

He dropped his Cavewings round 3 but right in the middle and they were mopped up immediately. Rath finished off the other TB and made his way over but by then Cool only had a few models left. Brimstone and Soul Warden also pulled their weight but I figured it was a war of attrition at that point. Lose a couple menials, kill Brimstone; re-lose the animated Thumper and Churgeon, take out Rath. He hung in there until round 8 - he also amassed 6 secondary objectives to my 8, but ultimately leaving me with with the Relic the whole game cost him the win.
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 05-25-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Game 3

Never's Core vs. Coolstick's Forsaken (St. John)

Map: 4'x4' "Ruined Fortress Bridge"
    Scenario: Seize Groun w/ secondary objectives
    Size: 500 Points

Never's Core (490)
    [Final Score:8]
    1 Churgeon
    1 Nexus
    1 Thumper
    1 TB 13
    2 Zetamax (proxied)
    Core Upgrades:
    Nexus: Combat Drones, Saw
    TB 13s: Rending Saw

Coolstick's Forsaken, St. John (480)
    [Final Score: 6]
    1 St. John
    1 Elijah
    1 Coil Diskmaster
    1 Field Medic
    1 Weaponsmith
    1 Deacon

Result:
    Core Defeats Forsaken, St. John
    8 to 6

Commentary:
    Force Creation:
    We had some time for a 500 and Cool really wanted to test St. John against the Core. I will also say this makes him a pretty good team player, we want to get as many different games in against the Core and 2 Dragyri matches off the bat doesn't help a ton - he wanted to expand and get both a Forsaken opponent in there (and one not usually used) as well as a 500 point.

Here again, however he probably could have went with advice a bit more. He was lured in by the Weaponsmith's 3 attacks and would not be persuaded otherwise. Forsaken can struggle at low point games so it is important to both maximize the full alottment of 500 as well as cram a lot of bodies in an 80 or 90 point slot - neither of which he does.

Noticing this I altered my list a bit to lower my count, which usually includes 3 Menial Bots instead of a TB 13. Otherwise it's my best 500 list thus far so he had his work cut out for him.

The Game:
    He did of course draw the best objective for John: Seize Ground. John is great at going somewhere and sitting. I had a couple advantages here also however. I won the roll and so I placed 3 objectives and placed first. Cool, not realizing the importance of objective placement, let me place all of mine by my corner.

Immediately he realized his blunder though and complained about it the whole rest of the game. I deployed Churgeon right next to an objective and had my Combat Drones around the others by the 1st round prep which didn't help things.

So by round 2 I was sitting pretty; he had his 2 objectives claimed and I had my three, oodles of terrain between us. Initially he drew his Weaponsmith around some rubble to my left flank and, though it was perhaps not a great match up, I countered by hiding my TB 13 there in some cover waiting for him. Once he got one of my 3 objectives I was going to be hard pressed to deal with that as well as John's advance.

John crept to the middle and at first my Zetamaxes and Thumper kept him at bay. A few lost AP from stun and Zetamaxes x3 STs really helped there. I did get John down to dying but the medic was right there to lift him back up.

Critically, he pulled back his Weaponsmith, no longer threatening my flank, so I was able to engage John with my TB - a huge mistake I think. Another was that he waited until round 5 before deploying Elijah. My Churgeon was taken out quickly by the Diskmaster in round 3, a couple lucky shots, but he waited even longer for my Bots and Nexus to engage forward before deploying on my back objectives. Even still I was able to fend Elijah off and even kill him once my Nexus was able to come back.

By then, John was dead, the Medic, Deacon, everything but that stupid Weaponsmith.

Cool later admitted that with a couple list tweaks and some different play decisions he would have had a better chance at beating me, as it was he was pretty close and he was able to toss off one of my objective markers so that we were tied by round 5.