Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: New UK Player

New UK Player

Hey all I'm Gareth and I live in the north of England. I run a few clubs up here and after seeing the new Mark model I'm now hooked on Dark Age and WoK and hopefully will be a legionnaire soon. I'm liking the look or CORE. How do they run? They seem very dependant on having an alpha around...
    anyway I'm excited to start playing and promoting the game as it deserve a larger spotlight

Any other Core player around?

My favorite faction is the Core so if you have any Core questions, feel free to let me know.

The basic Core playstyle is that many models have high strengths, high weaknesses. As many models' strengths cover other models' weekness, this tends to give them a very synergistic feel. As you noticed, one of these is how Gamma models, who are usually very strong for their point cost, need Alpha models around to prevent them from being kited. This does make Core a higher learning curve army than other factions and positioning can become crucial but the payoffs usually outweigh the risks and, after a while, you should instinctively know where your 8" Alpha bubbles are.

Also important to note, not having an Alpha for a Gamma doesn't make them useless. You actually have a lot of freedom of movement and can still attack. It's not something to make a habit of, but it's definitely not game over if the opponent kills your last Alpha.

I come from warmachine so I'm used to protecting key models :P
    If thats the case do most people come at core headhunting?

Yes and no.

When we first started, I learned the hard way that a skilled opponent can single out and kill your Alpha mode and somewhat kite your gamma models. There are a couple things now that really don't allow this to happen as much.

One is that I play where my gamma models are up front in the enemy's face, which means I usually don't care if they are gamma or not. The second is that I find, either do to lack of knowledge or not having it as a strategic priority, opponents tend not to target Alphas very much.

I will say if you want to know a huge Core weakness, it is that a lot of models have exactly 2 health and they don't really have access to a "medic" the same way other factions do. This means that models that do extreme damage - 2 wounds instead of 1 when they hit - can really hurt and especially models that have ED and can hit multiple models (with an Arc or Pierce attack). For this reason, Heretic and Skarrd armies can be an absolute nightmare to go up against.
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 12-01-2015 at 05:10 PM.

I think, in smaller games, the Alpha model is absolutely clutch because:

a) It's usually Nexus, who is eminently killable and

b) You usually only have 1 alpha model

In 500 point or larger games, losing your Alpha model can be frustrating, but its hardly backbreaking. Moreover, as the game ages, ranges for ranged attacks are generally capping off around 10" (with a few models still having 12 or 14" guns). As a result, if they're close enough to kill your Alpha model, your gamma models are probably in range to do something about it.

As for Core weakness, I find that the lack of healing can be hard to handle in addition to the lack of force multiplier abilities like psychogenics and generally lower AP values can be frustrating for newer players. That said, Core have some amazing base stat values and, with the recent changes to Forsaken and Outcasts, are fairly undisputed as the best shooting faction.

Which brings me to my next question, ehat our 'good' models ie the ones I should be looking at? does the starter box have a good start?
    Whats our best units?

My picks:

Best upgrade: Combat Drones

Best "Grunt": Menial Bot

Best Alphas-for-point-level:
    1. Nexus
    2. Ghost
    3. Centurion
    4. Icon

Best Ranged: Thumper (one of the best in the game)

Best mid-level troopers, for-point-level:
    1. TB 13
    2. Zetamax
    3. Spartan Menial
    4. Grotesque

Aww what about banshee, she is my fave model
    which thumper?
    is the starter set not worth it then since it has Rends and stuff then?

The starter is worth it for the Nexus, Menial bots, and TB-13. Rend isn't in a great place at the moment, but its usable (albeit harder to use than the other options in CORE).

As for which Thumper, dis Thumper:

https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/m...thumper-1.html

Sorry got mixed up with the pathfinder
    Thats alot of stuff that seems not to warrant play