Brand new player here, question about resculpts

Hey guys, new player here looking to buy some models. I noticed that there are several resculpts of older DA figures. The resculpts look like they are much higher quality and I was wondering if there is any way to know which models are resculpts and which are the older ones? I can't tell from the small pictures on the cmon and DA store sites. Is there a list somewhere, or some way to know which are the newer sculpts? Thanks in advance. Sorry for another noob question.

To make a long answer short, about a year and a half ago Dark Age changed its release schedule to release and update a faction every six months. Since then, so far Outcast, Bounty Hunters and Forsaken have all been redone. When they were redone, a lot of the older models were updated.

Outside of that, Core and Kukulkani were both done in 2012 which is still pretty recent, so it's unsure as to whether they will get resculpted. Otherwise, Dragyri, Skarrd, and Brood are the factions to be wary of. These all are as-yet unupdated factions so they may receive resculpts before too long.

Regarding how to best find all of the resculpts, it would be nice to eventually compile a list of these but unfortunately there are a lot of them. A good rule of thumb is just to peruse the CMON store: https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/m...dark-age-games

Anywhere there is a duplicate name, the "older" sculpt is usually the one that is either cheaper and/or out of stock. Also, insomuch as you like the model, I usually say buy it. There are a number of the old sculpts I own that I either prefer to the new ones or don't like the new ones enough to justify the cost.

Thanks so much!
    That was exactly what I needed to know. Unrelated question: are the DA models plastic, resin, or metal?
    And which rules set is current?

Depending on what you buy, the models for the most part are either Resin or metal. Some have a mix of both and some were originally cast in metal and recast with resin.

A lot of the older stuff, probably 99% is all metal (as with any miniatures game). The newer the model, the more likely you are to find a resin model. Fire Caste, for example, has a lot of Resin as does Slavers and Nomads. Also, anything 80mm, with the exception to some of the really old stuff, should now be in resin.

Regarding the rules, 2013 Core is still in effect (and is downloadable on the site here). I'd also give the FAQ a read and if any rule seems wonky still you can search by keyword in our rules section or join the Dark Age Facebook group and get a pretty good discussion and clarification. Link below:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/183757445321780/

Hey, is there any kind of release schedule for updating factions? I know you said Kukulkani was done in 2012, but what about an updated set of cards, altering point values and powers? Any faction on the horizon for a revamp of those?

Sure!

I will tell you as much as I am legally allowed to tell you. They've said all factions will eventually get a revision. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean they'll get resculpts but if I had to put money on it, based on their age I would bet Skarrd and Brood are positioned for a lot of new models. Dragyri may get a few... even at their age however they remain some of the prettiest models in Dark Age.

Mainly, when a faction gets tweak it's a rules and stats revision. All models will eventually fall into the new 25 base point system of the other factions, a lot of the old, wonky special abilities like Fortitude are going away and a number of abilities like Fire and Regeneration are being tweaked. I expect this will be applied across the board to all remaining factions.

Also, when both Forsaken and Outcast were updated, new subfactions were added. It's probably not too far fetched to hope for a new Dragyri or Brood subfaction and maybe even something for Skarrd. K3 and Core are the hard ones to predict at the moment but also, new playtest rules and stats are already available for some of the above factions.

I highly recommend checking out the Dark Age Facebook group as this is the best place to chat about all these things and when the CMON folk drop by and offer little hints and rumors, that's how we gather everything we know so far. Link below:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/183757445321780/