Very new & very confused

Hi all, I'm completely new to Dark age & as the title may suggest very confused. I'm trying to get some idea of the game in its current state.

Boardgamegeek lists several rulebooks along with publication dates, however I'm unsure as to which books are currently usable in the game & which are from previous editions (for that matter I'm unsure as to which the current edition is). That's my first issue.

In addition I was wondering if anyone could give me......kind of a "feel" for the game. By that I mean is the scale around 28mm or somewhat larger or smaller. Force sizes: are we talking a skirmish game of maybe 6-12 models per player or something closer to 40k armies etc....

Basically I'm a complete noob at this point & could use a little guidance on anything to do with structure of the game, what edition it's in, how minis are released (one faction at a time or not) anything.

Many thanks for your time.

Welcome.

Dark Age is a quick yet tactical skirmish game that can be played around 30-60 minutes or so. Dark Age really strives for rule simplicity while yet still aiming for a deep and tactical game and for the most part this works pretty well. There isn't a lot of downtime in a game of Dark Age but it isn't beer and pretzels either. The amount of knowledge needed to play is low and can be picked up in about fifteen minutes.

The current rules are the 2013 Core Rules which you can download for free above. There are some older rulebooks you probably want to steer clear of, Apocalypse, Exodus, Genesis, etc. Some of these additional books however do add some backstory to a number of the different factions but if you are looking to read story, your best bet is to start a separate thread to glean which books work best.

Dark Age is played by a points per model, points per army format not entirely different from Warmachine. The most common point game currently is 500 which will typically be around 6-10 models. 750 is my personal favorite as well as a common tournament size and that features 8-14 models roughly. Dark Age is technically 32mm scale but if you are familiar with the GW tendency of "Heroic 28mm" scale, Dark Age fits that as well.

Regarding release schedule, there is a "pre-release" schedule (sort of like a "coming soon") and a release schedule. Their goal is to twice a year do a major pre-release. This includes updating one of the factions, updating old models and possibly adding a subfaction. These models are not generally available though unless you attend a Convention. Their regular release schedule happens once a month when around 3-6 models from their pre-release models become generally available.

Excellent. Thank you, that was just the kind of information I was looking for. You mention pre-releases which raised another question. Do all pre-release models get a general release eventually? Or are they more of a limited edition kind of thing? Living in the UK it seems as though getting hold of models can be a little problematic & getting to conventions would be unlikely.

The best answer to your question is that I believe the goal is to have all models be general release but I'll talk about the exceptions first.

1). When Infamy did their Kickstarter, there was an exclusive model named Princess Outis that was made to be a crossover model for Dark Age as well. To date, the Kickstarter project was the only way to get a hold of the model so people who didn't get it here will not have her however the good news is that rules were never written for her in Dark Age so the point might be moot at the moment.

2). For the longest time, the only way to get the Heretic model Father Johann was a long-since-sold-out LE model. They only made about 500 of him but he did eventually hit the CMON store, so he was generally available, if only in limited quantities. This model has since been resculpted and rereleased so he should be generally available now.

3). The current model "Skars" was a promo for buying the Outcast book upon release. Most of these were probably handed out via a convention however I know they did an online order promo also. To date, this would be the only model that might give those that grabbed a promo copy a competative advantage.

Through this, I know their overall philosophy isn't to make it so that only people who can grab the promos get a copy of a model. And I fully expect them to remake a non-LE Skars eventually as well, for general availability. Regarding availability in the UK, I know there are a decent number of vendors now that carry Dark Age and recently the Dark Age game runner traveled to London to shoot some videos with the folks at Beasts of War, so if I were in Europe I'd find that fairly encouraging. Otherwise, if none of the above methods work I know the most recent version of the Dark Age FAQ allows for some pretty liberal proxies of models, so if you can't find one there hasn't ever been a better time to go and make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftage View Post
    Living in the UK it seems as though getting hold of models can be a little problematic & getting to conventions would be unlikely.
    Hi there,

I recently started playing Dark Age and I live in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I must say the services are excellent if you order through the store online. Your order will be on your doorstep within 2 weeks and its very easy to get into contact with cmon employees.

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Never Knows Best View Post
    The best answer to your question is that I believe the goal is to have all models be general release but I'll talk about the exceptions first.

1). When Infamy did their Kickstarter, there was an exclusive model named Princess Outis that was made to be a crossover model for Dark Age as well. To date, the Kickstarter project was the only way to get a hold of the model so people who didn't get it here will not have her however the good news is that rules were never written for her in Dark Age so the point might be moot at the moment.

2). For the longest time, the only way to get the Heretic model Father Johann was a long-since-sold-out LE model. They only made about 500 of him but he did eventually hit the CMON store, so he was generally available, if only in limited quantities. This model has since been resculpted and rereleased so he should be generally available now.

3). The current model "Skars" was a promo for buying the Outcast book upon release. Most of these were probably handed out via a convention however I know they did an online order promo also. To date, this would be the only model that might give those that grabbed a promo copy a competative advantage.

Through this, I know their overall philosophy isn't to make it so that only people who can grab the promos get a copy of a model. And I fully expect them to remake a non-LE Skars eventually as well, for general availability. Regarding availability in the UK, I know there are a decent number of vendors now that carry Dark Age and recently the Dark Age game runner traveled to London to shoot some videos with the folks at Beasts of War, so if I were in Europe I'd find that fairly encouraging. Otherwise, if none of the above methods work I know the most recent version of the Dark Age FAQ allows for some pretty liberal proxies of models, so if you can't find one there hasn't ever been a better time to go and make your own.
    So does anyone know if they are ever going to get around to creating rules for that Princess Outis figure? I understand that she was meant to be a bounty hunter.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

I ask every few months on the CMoN forums and never get a conclusive answer. When I asked the Infamy guys they say they're waiting for CMoN to provide rules/cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Klepto View Post
    I ask every few months on the CMoN forums and never get a conclusive answer. When I asked the Infamy guys they say they're waiting for CMoN to provide rules/cards.
    Infamy has been provided with rules for Outis a while back (WoK and DA). When/how they release them is dependent on, well, however they told people they were going to do so.

Good to hear something back. I'll follow up with the Infamy guys again. This time I'll be armed with more information.