CORE: whats hot and whats not? Looking for advice

The recent release of the Zetamax has me looking at Dark Age again after a long hiatus. Any must haves or units to avoid? I really like the Zetamax model so I am planning to pick up a couple along with a Ghost and maybe an Infiltrator pack. Any other suggestions? I already have several Rends, Menials and a Pathfinder. Maybe another unit with Alpha programming?

Thanks

It is probably well known already that the Core are my favorite faction so I'll skip ahead...

Models I currently almost-always include:
    Combat Drones (find stand-in models for these and make 6 ASAP)
    Thumper (the most fun model in the game, I rarely make a Core list without one and I own 3)
    Churgeon (Makes Thumper not malfunction)

My favorite Alpha programming models in order:
    Icon
    Nexus
    Ghost
    Centurion
    Any model with Upgrade-Alpha Programming
    Banshee

Very useful and fun but not necessarily auto-include:
    TB 13
    LCST
    Recovery Unit

Currently on the bottom of my lists:
    Rend
    Infiltrator
    Tallman

Thanks Never. I knew I could count on you to chime in with some good advice! A little surprised about the Infiltrator. I was thinking the Infiltrate SA would make it a good scenario piece. Do you think its too expensive for what it does?

NP. Regarding the Infiltrator, I'm not sure what it is. They've never seemed to do a lot of work for me when I've used them and always get bumped out of lists I make now and it could boil down to a matter of preference.

With them and the Rends, it just doesn't seem like they fit very well into what I try to do with Core. Before I field Infiltrators, Ghost comes first as it is a much better deal. For Alternate deployment I like Churgeon and LCST better, for ranged harass Thumper fits the bill. This also might come down to the fact that it is a 1 HP model in a faction that doesn't have a medic and of the 1 HP models it just happens to be the one that does the least for its points.

Going to piggyback on this thread as I'm also a new core player (2 weeks into league).

I have no idea where to take core as they do not seem to have a clear focus like some of the other factions do.

I have Nexus, 5 menials, 1 rend , Tseudo, Thumper and 3 tb-13s.

What should I be using out of this? I'd love to get a chirgeon or a recovery unit but everywhere I have checked is sold out (some places since april) so I guess thats out.

What is wrong with the Tallman? At first glance they seem pretty good if a tad expensive and I really like the model. I'm wanting to add more ranged threat to my army as that is the one thing in core I picked up on. Thinking about Ghost as well

Also what in the actual hell do we do about Mandible. That model has been running completely roughshod through the league.
    Last edited by lokiramza; 09-14-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Bare with me as threads like this are my favorite, I'll give you my two cents. In reverse order...

Quote Originally Posted by lokiramza View Post
    Also what in the actual hell do we do about Mandible.
    For Core, models like Thumper and Combat Drones are very important; models that slow the enemy down and make it easier to hit them. For Mandible specifically, two things should jump out at you when reading his stats: Hard to hit, Easy to wound. Then, for Thumper and Blast attacks in general, remember that just because you "miss" the attack, doesn't mean you can't still hit that model with a scatter.

A BL attack can only scatter half the distance of the attack. This means for a BL(3), you can be ~6" away and hit the target automatically. For BL(2), ~4" away = automatic hit. You can do this at further distances too, just remember to place your initial blast roughly in the middle of multiple targets. A BL(2) Thumper attack that hits Mandible will probably cause a wound. A BL(3) stun that hits him makes him 25% slower and if it hits Puds it makes them basically useless for a round.

What is wrong with the Tallman?
    Nothing. It's good at doing what it does which is ranged "Horrible Death," or the best way Core has of spreading Panic. I don't personally field it a lot because I'm not a fan of the old Proximity Strike (which can hit your own models), a lot of enemy models are immune to panic, and he only has RF 1. Otherwise for me, I need a better answer to the question "why would you field a Tallman instead of a Thumper" before I play him more.

RE: Available Core models

It never hurts to ask where you might be able to purchase these. You were right about Churgeon, man it's hard to find one atm! Still, you could email Cmon as sometimes their store numbers are out of date. Otherwise, they usually have models at Cons they go to so you could post to see if someone at a con will pick one up for you.

For the Recovery Unit, I found one for sale here (you could email them too to see if they'd get a Churgeon in for you):
    http://www.meeplemart.com/store/p/33...overy-Bot.aspx

I have Nexus, 5 menials, 1 rend , Tseudo, Thumper and 3 tb-13s.
    It looks like you have the right ideas and a good start to your Core list. I'd focus on the Nexus, Thumper, Menials and TB 13s. Remember that your Nexus can take 2 attack upgrades, giving him potentially 4 attacks per AP! He's still fragile though so engage first with your tiny bots, then move him in to mop up.

You'll want another Alpha with all those Gamma models and I think Ghost is a good pick. As you begin to play games at bigger point sizes keep an eye on Centurion and especially Icon; these are your damage dealers and you need damage against some of the bigger Brood models.

Otherwise, your TBs will be especially frustrating for the Brood. They don't have hardly any regular range, so Sidestep will allow you to ignore 60% of their hits. You can upgrade them with Buzz Saws also, so a 3 attack model that doesn't die.

And did I tell you to get Combat Drones yet? Get Combat Drones. Core players do not play without them. Engaging Mandible with 1 of them, and he either has to spend an AP to swing away (only a 60% to hit) or spend 2 AP to disengage. After he kills 1 of these zero point models, engage him with another. Rinse, repeat.
    Last edited by Never Knows Best; 09-17-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks for the info!

I have been taking the drones and so far they have not really done anything other than die. I'm going to keep running them until I figure it out.

Ghost is also at the very tip top of My list as I have come to realize in my games so far that only having nexus makes my alpha program bubble extremely hard to manage.
    Last edited by lokiramza; 09-17-2016 at 02:50 AM.

Nope, you have the Combat Drones figured out. Their purpose is to die... specifically, make sure they hang back, then vault in to tie up the biggest enemy model you can. If you can get some free wounds in, so much the better but then they have to waste AP to swing at them. Since the Core have very little AP denial, sending in small things to die is the primary way the Core dig themselves out of that hole.

Ok good glad to hear I'm doing something right haha.

I may give up on the Churgeon and grap a Recovery unit, Ghost and another ranged unit. Thumpers are hard to find as well and I have a feeling that when Core gets its balance pass they are gonna get wrecked so I may grab Tallmen because I love the model or maybe some other shooterbot of some sort.