The Start. New To Dark Age, And Beginning Kukulkani

Hi,

This is the first miniatures that I've started to collect for Dark-Age. I'm in Australia, and the game is not established widely here. No-one I know is playing it, so I'm on a learning curve with the rules.

What I thought I'd do to start with is order a few models that I like the look of, assemble them, and paint them up. while I'm doing this, I'm happy to share the journey with you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4144.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	1487

Here's the order from CMON, no-one stocks it here in Sydney, so it was a two week wait to get my hands on them. I ordered Kaachika's, Ah'chu'kuk, a living ancestor, and Ixchel... mainly because I like the look of them, and the "basic troop" types were not available when I went to place my order. I decided I can wait until they get back into stock, and in the meantime, I can get started with these.

Name:	IMG_4147.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1488

the first models out were the Kaachikas.

Name:	IMG_4148.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1489

The poses were nice!

Name:	IMG_4154.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	1490

And on the under-side of the feet, they'd sculpted TOES!

I'm impressed!

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1491

After Pinning the arms onto the main body, I had to look at setting up the bases. As I'm new to the whole hollowed-out bases concept, and I didn't want to wait for another two weeks to order the pre-sculpted inserts, I thought I'd just use a basic handyman's epoxy filler from the hardware shops here in Australia called Knead-It. It is very fine, and sets in 6 minutes after it is mixed. It is dense, and takes drilling and sanding very well. It's perfect for this job.

Name:	IMG_4159.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	1492

The first Kaachika is pinned into the base.

Name:	IMG_4163.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1493

After pinning the Kaachikas, the next figure I wanted to do was Ixchel. I wanted to do her on a putty-filled base, standing on a large stone slab, or rocks that had been broken in two. After finding some suitable slate to use, I fixed them to the base, and got ready to plan out how to drill the holes for the mode to stand.

Name:	IMG_4164.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1494

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	1495

Name:	IMG_4168.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	1496

Slate stone is wonderful stuff to work with, as it can be easily broken into workable size, can be ground flat, and easily drilled... all the while, looking like it's in scale for the detail of the model you are using. As well, close to where I live, there is a large deposit of it, so it's a free resource too! Here, I've also dipped the ends of the pins into some white paint, to help me locate the best place to drill the holes for the models.

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1497

Name:	IMG_4167.jpg 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1498

After this, the rest of the pinning and assembling of the metal models was fairly rapid. I am impressed so far at how well all of these models are designed to fit, and with a bit of basic pinning knowledge, how well the models go together!

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	1499

The next post will be about the paint stages.

nice start!

Thanks mate!

It's my first post here too, so kinda excited!

Name:	IMG_4205.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1500

The undercoating begins! I started with a Citadel Chaos Black Undercoat, and then once it was dry, hit all of the miniatures, from all sides with a 45° angle light dusting of citadel Skull White. Doing this just helps with shading with some of the thin base coats that I apply.

Name:	IMG_4209.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	1501

At the moment, I still have a lot of old-named citadel miniatures paints, and I'm kinda loathe to throw them out in favour of new ones, until they're absolutely gone. So from what you can see above, I've hit the first three miniatures, with a thin base coat of Charandon Granite (the Ixchel figure), and then I've mixed a pot of 50%/50% Charandon Granite and Hawk Turquoise and applied a thin coat (the Kaachika figure). The Living ancestor has had the first two stages, and then a subsequent thin coat of 25%/75% Charandon Granite and Hawk Turquoise, applied to the skin. Once that thin coat was applied to the highlighted area, I then re-applied the same thin coat, to a lesser degree, all over the skin areas to get a smoother gradient of highlighting. I feel the second coat of the same colour, really helps lay down a solid highlight...

After that, I added some citadel Ice Blue the the above mix to start to get the stage of highlight that you see in the above picture on the Living Ancestor.

Name:	IMG_4210.jpg 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1502

The next thing I did to the Living Ancestor model was to play around with the tone of the skin, by adding a small amount of citadel Lamenter's Yellow Glaze. Because I'm still experimenting at this point, the effect was not what I wanted, as you can see it all went a little too green, so I re-did some of the highlighting steps and then gave the model a thin glaze of citadel Turquoise glaze (from the 1996 paint range!). I also added some sparing hints of citadel Carroburg Crimson shade, to muscle creases in the torso, and armpit areas, to increase the contrast of those spots slightly... the photo tends to wash the effect out to a degree.

I then went to work on the mask and arm pieces of the living Ancestor. Starting from a thin coat of citadel foundation Tausept ochre, with a citadel Agrax Earthshade shade applied to that. Once the wash was dried, I applied a major highlight of a thin coat of citadel Kommando Khaki, and then a sparing highlight of citadel Bleached Bone.

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1503

I've then gone back to the tried and well-trusted '96 citadel Turquoise glaze, and hit some detail areas of the Living Ancestor's mask, as well as the circular objects on his hands and elbows, to create points of interest in those areas.

Name:	IMG_4223.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1504

Then I've gone to work on the Living Ancestor's kilt. Starting with a citadel foundation Mechrite Red, and then blending that colour with citadel Blazing Orange in successive highlights on the upper folds. I then applied a thin wash of citadel Carroburg Crimson Shade into most of the folded recesses of the kilt to add some depth to these areas.

next, I'll be adding the finishing details to this guy...

Absolutely amazing work!

The colours look perfect.

Great paintjobs!
    ... but the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.

At the moment, I still have a lot of old-named citadel miniatures paints, and I'm kinda loathe to throw them out in favour of new ones, until they're absolutely gone. So from what you can see above,