Soon-to-be new player questions

I recently stumbled upon Dark Age. Logged on to CMON and saw the Shadow Caste minis on the front page. Total awesome-sauce, so I delved deeper and fell in love with Air Caste minis. DLed the free rules (TYVM), read them, and decided that this is possibly the coolest game I haven't played yet. Having read the core rules (as opposed to the CORE rules /rimshot), and going over the Air Caste cards, they look like a (sub-) faction which really fits in with my general TTG play-style as well as having cool minis.

So, all excited, I check out the store, and the Air Caste starter box is currently out of stock. Sadness. So for the near future, are there plans to re-stock the current AC starter, or to re-tool and replace with a whole new starter? (I would prefer to do my first order in the next week or so, just to get painting. I can go to Plan B and order a few assorted AC minis to hold me over til a new starter becomes available.)

General question: Which rules/mechanics do newer players tend to fluff early on? Coming from a number of systems, there are always a few growing pains that pop up with learning a new game, and I would like to minimize that.

Thanks in advance,
    and good gaming
    -BG

Welcome!

First, I did find at least 1 copy of an Air Caste box, found here: http://monkeyswordgames.com/dag2903
    Fair warning, if the new boxes indicate anything new Dragyri boxes may soon replace these old ones.

For new players, every group is a little different regarding how they learn rules. Something we got really quick at was the attack sequence. Roll under Defense + AS (Attack Strength) to hit, Roll under Armor - Power to save. Get really good at calculating these numbers and their modifiers quickly and the games fly by.

A few common offenders that most people get confused about:

1. The cards are different: Dark Age is awesome in that, if you know what "Parry" means on one model, you know what "Parry" is on all models. However, Dark Age is also always revising things. As a general rule, always follow what YOUR card says, regardless of what it does elsewhere. Notably Proximity Strike, Regeneration and Smoke have a few different versions. Also, when in doubt this website's download section always has the tournament-legal most recent/playable version of a card.

2. Squadlinking. If the bottom of the card has the same name (or has "Commander) it can be "squadlinked." To squadlink, find the highest number on any card next to that name, declare all the models that will be linking (they have to form a chain with no model further than 4" from the other "link"), and then start. THEN you activate 1 of those models (in any order) and complete it's activation, then the next until all in the link have activated.

3. Attacks vs. Attack Groups: Pay close attention to everything that is in the AG#1 box, AG#2, etc. You can use everything in that box (including if there is a [2] in brackets) per AP spent on attacking. Also read carefully when it comes to abilities, as some will specify only an "attack" and some an "attack group."

4. Size ≠ Base size: MOST of the time, a "Small" Model has a 30mm base, a "Medium" is 40mm, etc. However, any base size can be any size model. Make sure to read that carefully.

Otherwise, read the rules, read the FAQ and post any questions here or on the Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/183757445321780/). We're generally a pretty helpful lot.

Thanks for the tip on the warband box.

Also, thanks for the tips and quick response. Looking forward to painting and playing.