LOS, Cover, and "valid" attack paths?

What is a "valid" LOS window for the purposes of cover (pg 43) and how does it differ from the LOS window defined under Line of Sight on pg 36?

As an additional question, Assume I have a target model standing between two Huge, LOS-blocking pieces of terrain. Only a sliver of the target's base is visible to the attacker, essentially 99% obscured from view. That sliver is also the nearest point from attack to target, so the attack path is unobstructed and crosses no cover. The target, rules as written, appears to get no cover. Was this intended?

Conversely, imagine a target behind a slim pole. A piece of terrain that provides cover. The nearest point from attacker to target crosses this terrain. The target gets cover, even though it is 99% exposed. Was this also intentional?

The use of the word "valid" on page 43 appears to indicate it was not, but the actual meaning of the words on pages 36 and 43 do not appear to produce the desired results. I'm curious whether any light can be shed on this issue, and I really hope it will be errated soon so that the rules are both clear and intuitive, while actually producing the intended results.
    I'm a wastelands warrior and I'm OK, I work all night and I sleep all day!

Once understood, the rule is easy but it's hard to get on first read.

Step 1. Can you see the model you are shooting at? LOS hasn't changed at all, so if any part of the attacking model can see any part of the target model, you have LOS. (ignore the "window" thing).

Step 2. Draw a line from the closest point of the attacker to the closest point of the target. Does that line go through cover? Then the target gets that cover. Ignore any cover owned by the attacking model.

Quote Originally Posted by Never Knows Best View Post
    Once understood, the rule is easy but it's hard to get on first read.

Step 1. Can you see the model you are shooting at? LOS hasn't changed at all, so if any part of the attacking model can see any part of the target model, you have LOS. (ignore the "window" thing).
    Sorry, but I can't take any answer that tells me to ignore words in the rules seriously.

Step 2. Draw a line from the closest point of the attacker to the closest point of the target. Does that line go through cover? Then the target gets that cover. Ignore any cover owned by the attacking model.
    This is not what the rules actually say. The attack path has to be in a "valid" LoS window.
    I'm a wastelands warrior and I'm OK, I work all night and I sleep all day!

It doesn't really matter since that is the way it is played, not read. You can feel free to play it which ever way you'd like however, so long as you understand how it will be ruled at a tournament.