Potential New Player

Really liking the look of this game and am seriously considering taking the plunge. I have a question, however: apart from the 2017 Rule book, what are all of the other books for? Some I can tell are faction specific, but there are zero descriptions (that I can find) for any of them!

Can somebody enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm a new player too, so hopefully someone with more experience will also reply. My understanding is that the faction books contain short stories, histories, etc. along with art for the factions and the newest rules. I don't think you need these to play though, since all the latest rules and cards are available for free download via the downloads dropdown menu on this site.

Where are you located? The hardest part about starting this game is finding other people to play with. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so you'd think that a city with this many people would have other players, but I haven't had any luck finding them yet.

Agreed. I'm on the East Coast in a very rural area, so what gaming exists here is only CCG's and 40K.

It'd be nice if the store had descriptions for each item.

Previous answer is correct, the faction books contain backstory for all the models and usually a short story or two.

The books - at least the later ones - are descriptive in so much as the titles tell you pretty much what they're about. Outcast, Forsaken, Dragyri, etc.

Having said that, Attrition is also right - you don't *need* the books to play. The rules are free, everything is on the cards (and those can be downloaded for free too - and oftentimes you're better off doing this so you can get the most up to date versions)...but...

...you'll want the books for the stories, background and just their excellent overall production values!
    Nil nos tremefacit.

On books, they're great to have, albeit not strictly necessary. Great production value, as said. But when starting game, you can concentrate your buys on models, leaving books for later.

Regarding players, it's true that the game is not very widely played. Good news is: the game is simple enough that you can teach a friend how to play in few minutes, so if you're willing to buy into at least two factions (these could also be two sub-factions, like building around two different Forsaken Saints, or two Dragyri Castes, so you can use most of the stuff yourself once the playerbase hopefully will grow), you can lend models to a friend and have him having fun since the very first game, as the basics are very easy to grasp.
    This doesn't mean that the game is simplicistic or devoid of any depth. In fact, it's the opposite. Honest. It's just that the rules are very thight and streamlined, so they're quite straightforward to grasp.
    ... but the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.

Zero gives some great advice there!

Many of us will have to be 'Dark Age Evangelists' in our areas, spreading the good word on this fantastic game with beautiful miniatures.

The 'buy in' cost is low, and it is relatively easy to end up with quite a few factions - another great selling point for the game!

Good luck!
    Nil nos tremefacit.