Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: RPG?

dilgar

RPG?

Hello all! Just picked up the game and it looks fantastic! I hope I can do the figs some true justice with my painting skills. ( or lack there of)

I am also a long-time RPGer and the setting is just CRYING for a sourcebook based on any of the most popular systems out there. OGL D20 is of course the most obivious choice, but there are others I would like to see. BESM is one, FUDGE is another, GURPs and Rolemaster are solid choices too. Some of the special abilities would be feats/talents and some are better designed as skills. You could even throw psionics into the setting with little fuss. Or, even more mind bending, describe the guns as spells or powers and turn it into a Dark Age Fantasy setting.

Well, that's all I have for now. Looking forward to getting some troops and slappin' paint to primer. Keep up the good fight!

Welcome dilgar.

Yes, RPG, there has been many a discussion on that subject. We are certainly interested, but our main goal is to develope the miniature game to a point whereby we have spare resources and manpower to do side projects. We rather do one project well than multiple projects. You never know what the future might bring...

As far as painting. Just go for it, if you think it is hard for you, just think about what I have to endure. I have all the studio miniatures in front of me, it is rather depressing for me to pick up a brush... but the main thing is, no matter what your paint skills are, it is always nice to see painted miniatrures on the table. I look forward to seeing your work here soon
    "We are not here to make history, we are here to change the future!"

awakeneddragon
    Welcome to the game! d=(^- ^)=b

To visit this topic in the old forum, you can click here.

dilgar
    Wow! Did not know what I was getting into here! A D20 Modern variant would diffently work. I have no issues with D20, it can be very accurate in what you want to do and how. Personally, I LOVE the FUDGE system. I can make it my own without to much trouble, molding it how I see fit. I have never seen a version of D20 that gives you guild-lines on how to balance different skills/talents/powers with each other. FUDGE does it very smoothly. I will have to, of course, play 20 - 30 games to see if my ideal will withstand the rigors of the actual gameplay.

It should be fun, anyway I look at it, though.

Dilgar

Didn't take long for this to re-surface!!!

I was thinking of running a short PBF (Play-By-Forum) game of Dark Age d20, on my LGS web-forum...... don't have d20 Modern, but do have d20 Judge Dredd so have some firearms rules.

Another option I was considering was FUDGE or Active Exploits (Diceless)..........

A possible project for the future.
    100% Irons

awakeneddragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi
    Didn't take long for this to re-surface!!!
    That would be because we are gaming junkies and like our DA everywhere (^_ ^). I think we were all working on this one in some way. When the announcement came that a new book was coming out it seemed odd to me to release anything that would already be dated (^. ^;). We'll see what turns up in the coming month or two after I get my copy of the rules... (^_ -)b

As Grafter said, it will be some time before we re-visit the idea of a RPG. But with the amount of fanatics we have here, it will happen.

The actual printed game itself will more than likely be a D20 Modern supplement in the way of rules. This is due to popularity, wide acceptance of the system, and marketability
    However the focus of the game will be on the world and background so that anyone can play DA in any system and not have to be restricted to playing it in D20.
    There will be a lot of variant and custom rules that deviate from classic D20 to give things more of a DA feel and provide a better base for games. Much like other game systems have done recently. The game will not be D20 by D&D rules, but D20 by Dark Age Rules!

Since not everyone is keen on D20, there is also a good chance we'll have a web supplement(s), either official or fan based, that will let you play the game in other system.

Nothing is in stone yet, and much is still open.

No offense, but it think the DA RPG will arrive in a matter of years, no sooner!!

Just looking at the DA background, it isn't actually easy to set an RPG here. The nature of the world will limit a lot of the activities normally found in RPGs. Not saying it can't be done, it's just gonna take a bit more effort to RPG-ise DA than say it did for IK/WM. Looking forward to whatever emerges anyway. If I get a chance I'll try and put some ideas up.
    100% Irons

Hasimir
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlequinn
    The game will not be D20 by D&D rules, but D20 by Dark Age Rules!

Since not everyone is keen on D20, there is also a good chance we'll have a web supplement(s), either official or fan based, that will let you play the game in other system.
    These two are GREAT ideas

The setting IS RPG-friendly...if you play Forsaken-only.
    They are the average guy, they have variety, they have to explore/conquer/plot/survive/thrive/etc...

Brood and Skarrd are quite unplayable...as long as you don't go "Mage-Warrior-Thief Half-Angel Half-Abominatin Half-Uncle-Tim Half-Skarrd-mutated-by-Brood-raised-by-Dragyri-kidnapped&trained-by-St-Coward"

Drags would be cool AND playable, but they can't cope with Forsaken
    Maybe if/when we get more "Outcast" stuff ... they don't give a damn about WHAT is helping them, as long as it makes them survive without mutating/cannibalizing/enslaving them

awakeneddragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasimir
    The setting IS RPG-friendly...if you play Forsaken-only.
    They are the average guy, they have variety, they have to explore/conquer/plot/survive/thrive/etc...

Brood and Skarrd are quite unplayable...as long as you don't go "Mage-Warrior-Thief Half-Angel Half-Abominatin Half-Uncle-Tim Half-Skarrd-mutated-by-Brood-raised-by-Dragyri-kidnapped&trained-by-St-Coward" :shock:

Drags would be cool AND playable, but they can't cope with Forsaken :(
    Maybe if/when we get more "Outcast" stuff ... they don't give a damn about WHAT is helping them, as long as it makes them survive without mutating/cannibalizing/enslaving them :roll:
    Forsaken-only does seem the most playable right off, especially as mixed groups aren't allowed by setting nor pre-existing expectations (in the minis game it is faction vs faction). Also, the Forsaken have the most information released...making the others a bit more difficult to portray properly... A concurrent and compatible Dragyri-only rule set could be released (and on that note, one for all of them could...)

I see the Brood and Skarrd interracting mostly as NPCs. That said, I think interesting crossovers could be possible, especially since being Brood or Skarrd might not necessarily be a function of ability, so much as intent (I don't need to be a mutant freak--and being one doesn't disqualify me from being Forsaken, for that matter). Afterall, St. Mark seems to have made quite an annoyance of himself for all sides.

The Dragyri are disqualified from a mixed party because it's without precident...yet. (Maybe the fallen Water could rise up and kick some kin tail, literally. If you're looking for a rogue Dragyri group, then they sound like likely candidates:

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Demorney
    Water and Ice are different, believe me ... and the War of Ascension saw lots of bloodshed between Dragyri
    Check out the Internal Conflicts area...

If the RPG followed the DA story as it develops (aka, the release of the minis books), then playing out the events of the DA world would be nifty (ala Dragonlance).