Thread: Mercs

awakeneddragon

Mercs

Just trying to clarify POWER structure:

From the introduction:
    "Mercs: Although most of the Individuals under this heading do not sell their services and are full servants under the great banner of the Church, they still possess a certain autonomy and may move between the various sub-factions and even refuse to work with some."

By definition then... wouldn't they be Prevailers? ...Elite units that bolster the Saint's efforts...perhaps by the order of the Church, OR by the edicts of their own Order... Or are they a group removed even from the Prevailers? Kind of holy splinters, set there like a cache of weapons?

Am I mixing up something to do with UNIT structure with POWER structure of the Church? Sorry if this is in the book--I don't have it yet (._ .)

Seems important in light of the Factions within Factions string.

DA_Demorney
    Good one

Not at all, the Prevailers are the tightly organized government which commands the strongest human army on Samaria. Technically all (but simply the most) Forsaken answer the Prevailers church and swear obedience to her.

The Saints have become a sort of local vassals, some craving for indepenence, most fulfilling the Prevailers wishes. It is typical that the Prevailers support the Saints, especially those leading the bigger crusades, for two reasons, to bind them stronger to the church and to ensure the enemy doesn't take the first barrier of Forsaken resistance (the outlying rural "fiefdoms").

The Mercs on the other hand are loners and wanderers, Ronin that just don't fit in somewhere and if, then they might not have found that place. Like so many other humans on Samaria they adopted the nomadic lifestyle to survive and employ their skills to those Forsaken warlords they deem worthy.

Hope that helps

awakeneddragon
    It does! \(^O ^)/ Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Demorney
    and employ their skills to those Forsaken warlords they deem worthy
    Does this mean that a Merc would only be a special unit? Could they not also be a Saint in their own right?

Wandering Saints... (^_ -) I rather like that image. It would better fit the schema of the more notable ronin...

This also screams, "New Topic" (^_ ^;)

I really like the concept of mercs... but I see them more like rag tag bands... they could make some cool forces and add ons in the future, with the only downside that they still be "Forsaken"... Brood hiring mercs? yeah sure...

Andres

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Demorney
    The Mercs on the other hand are loners and wanderers, Ronin that just don't fit in somewhere and if, then they might not have found that place. Like so many other humans on Samaria they adopted the nomadic lifestyle to survive and employ their skills to those Forsaken warlords they deem worthy.

Hope that helps
    Sounds like Stormcrow.

...here's a word of advice: deny the muse when cooking. <sigh> I was revisiting my Stormcrow piece and working on a follow-up...with breakfast on the stove. Now my house reeks and I have clean-up duty. <argh>