Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Required models for Greater Storm Elemental

Hi all,
    Starting out in Dark Age and I think I'm going air caste. I had a question on how the Greater Storm Elemental works, and what you actually need to unlock him. So obviously you need squalls. Each squall (Lightning, wind and thunder) are a 3 man unit and you must take all three units. Now, you can only have two elemental units per soul warden so the three units means two wardens. Once again, taking 2 soul wardens means getting 6 slave caste models.

So if I want GSEs, do I actually need:
    1 unit of 3 squalls - Lightning
    1 unit of 3 squalls - Thunder
    1 unit of 3 squalls - Wind
    1-3 GSEs (since if I'm taking 3 squall units I might as well buy 3 GSEs)
    2 Soul Wardens
    6 slave caste models?

Or am I reading this wrong?

The Squalls are take in a matched set of 3 : 1 Thunder, 1 Lightning and 1 Wind.
    You could play 2 sets but I can't say i'd recommend taking more than that.
    You would thus require only 1 Soul Warden and thus a list playable at 500 pts with a few spear slaves. (might be wrong on numbers as I'm doing this from memory).
    Keep in mind that in many occasions the Squalls are more usefull than the GSE, so maybe only need 1 GSE model. The spell can be hard to pull as well.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping it actually was... but I can't seem to indicate anything in the rules that a unit is 1:1:1 and not 3 units of 3 of a kind.

It is on the unit cards of the Squalls, it says: Matching Set - Lightning; Thunder; Wind.

Correct, hence my confusion. You need a matched set. According to the squall rules each unit is required to be a unit of 3, and if you take one unit (of 3) you must take the other two units (of 3) due to the matched set rule.

I assume I'm misinterpreting some keyword, since I was looking at the Rulebook last night thinking that this can't be the rule. But FAQ and updates don't clarify this at all. And as far as I can tell, all the other matched sets are characters and therefore are single models for the unit, rather than a set number.

1. A "unit" refers to a single model, I think that is where you confusion is coming from. A "squad" is a grouping of "units".

2. Matched Set means you must field 1 of each Thunder, Wind, and Lightning in order to field any of the three.

3. You can have 2 elemental squads per Soul Warden, meaning you could have 2 squads consisting of 1 Thunder, 1 Wind, and 1 Lightning.

Yeah, obviously still learning the lingo. So the matched set rule makes the three different squalls a single squad? It seems to imply they're still individual (with regards to rewriting the bit about coherency) or is this just an odd feature of Matched Sets of named characters?

-Squalls have a squad size is 3, meaning no more and no less can ever be fielded per squad.

-The Matched Set rule states that all 3 types must be fielded in order to be legal. If this rule did not exist, combined with the above, you could, for example, field a squad of 3x Squall-Lightning, but given the requirement of Matching Set, as well as the min/max squad size for Squalls, you must field 1 of each to make the squad legal.

-Squalls are not named characters/Individuals, they are a type of unit.

Thanks for the answers. I feel like maybe I'm not explaining myself very well, but I guess I'll just be playing these RAI instead of RAW.

I guess I just don't see any reference to "squads" in the Matched Set rule. So I'm still confused what part of that rule allows different unit types to join into a single squad. (I understand the matched units have the same coherency rules as if they were a squad and they gain berserk).

I appreciate your clarification on the intent of the Matched Unit rule, the rule seems like it needs a "... as a single squad" somewhere in the rule.

Anyway, just something that was super confusing and I thought I'd mention while you guys are about to put out a new version.