Thread: hobble amd fort

hobble amd fort

I just wanted to find out how hobble and fort go together. Say a warrior brings mongo to 0 hp he gets a fort token or does he get a hobble one? If fort he activates then gets a hobble or just dying?
    When does the painting end..........

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    FORTITUDE
    The first time this unit is reduced to 0 HP, give it a Fortitude Counter instead of a Dying Counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    HOBBLE
    When a weapon with Hobble reduces an enemy unit to 0 HP you may have that unit gain a Hobble Counter instead of a Dying Counter
    I guess the model gets a Fortitude token. Just a gut feeling, nothing definite on it.

well hobble says you get that counter if reduced to 0 hp...but the controlling player gets to choose whats given to the model upon giving out the blow that reduces it to zero IE: if a warrior would wack a dude to bring them to 0hp, you get to choose what they get beforehand, if you choose dying counter and NOT hobble them they would instead get a fort counter, if you choose to hobble them, the counter cannot be swapped from what I am reading, it turns FIRST into the hobble counter...and not a dying counter for the target model to swap out.

This is a situation of two abilities triggering at the same moment, in which case it will create a roll-off between the two players, with whomever rolling lowest deciding in which order the effects resolve.

In either case, once one of the effects has resolved, the other cannot, as the initial trigger (the model receiving a Dying Counter) is no longer happening, thus the ability cannot resolve.

thats....kinda bad. because now it becomes a note of something that SHOULD happen...now has a chance not to happen solely on a roll coming up due to us not knowing which comes first. If the hobbling attack does what its supposed to do, why should i have to roll against my opponent just to see if it resolves if they have fort? i mean he wouldnt get a dying counter to change anyways because the hobble attack immediately changes it to a hobble counter, they still arent dead mind you...but they arent dead on the OPPONENT'S terms.

I am kind of cool with it another kind of risk in the game and more risk lead to random out comes.

Ps and I am playing core so its the worst thing for them

Pps does hobble and the part about lifedrain work on non living models aka core?
    Last edited by beakerkd; 07-16-2013 at 01:22 AM.

I will note come the new edition (ie less than a month away) then the issue will resolve as following:

Fortitude by its new wording:

FORTITUDE
    When this model is reduced to 0 HP, it is not
    immediately killed and removed from play. If
    this model activates while at 0 HP it is killed and
    removed from play at the end of that activation.

Hobble:

HOBBLE
    When this attack reduces an enemy unit to 0 HP
    you may have that model gain a Hobbled Counter
    instead of being killed. While a model has a Hobbled
    Counter it is prone and reduced to 1 AP. If a model
    with a Hobbled Counter is ever hit by an attack, that
    model is killed. If a model with a Hobbled Counter
    is ever healed, remove the Hobbled Counter.

By those wordings, Hobble will not resolve on the model with Fortitude as Fortitude is replacing the trigger (being killed) of Hobble- The guys with Fortitude are hard to cripple, you'll have to kill them.

--------------

Note that that is in effect when the new book comes out, currently by the rules as they are my original answer stands.

beaker: CORE models are treated as living models for "on death" effects. See their Faction Document under "Entropic Batteries"

Thanks heaps Mr black.

Leads me to a new question but I think it will be explained in the new rules. The part about when a model is reduced to 0 Hp it is removed sounds like a big change

yeah that ruling makes it much easier to handle, I dig that too black, and thanks for the next wave of models...needed those things and mah big boy! ah'chuy