Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator Site Admin AngelicOne's Avatar

Throne of Angels video blog EPISODE 5

EPISODE 5 is cut and posted!

You can find it here:

http://youtu.be/TKuPav83dJg

Dark Age demo time, so like the AT demo, it's longer than standard, but we play a complete game with starters in about 35 minutes!

Enjoy and as always, feedback is welcome and most appreciated!!!

A1
    Throne of Angels Video Blog - ARE YOU WATCHING?

I'm still learning, but I believe you used an incorrect modifier on your charge rolls. Shouldn't it be a +1 AS/PW on the charge instead of +2?

Warwind Outcast
    Great Vid guys. Yeah, there are a few errors in there, but that happens. Biggest thing I saw was that the Force was Skarrd not Forsaken. But this kind of inspires me to want to film one of our games. Keep em coming.

You'll have to forgive me (there actually were a couple of errors we caught after filming) but I left my charger at home and I drove 2 1/2 to get there, so we had one shot! :P

@Ravenborne - that was my fault as we were just discussing Kevin's plans for his Forsaken Luke list and I totally had it stuck in my head! But I will be throwing a random prize to ScottyKahn for being the first to point it out on the video blog!!!

Warwind Outcast
    Yeah, we would probably all cringe if we actually saw a playback of our games and things we got wrong.
    Last edited by Ravenborne; 03-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Wasteland Warrior Outcast
    Thx. for the vid. it gives an idea on how this game actually plays and some insight in future happenings.

I'm still starting Dark Age and miniature games in general but this one, among the myriad of skirmish game choices, is certainly among the ones that might do it for me.

Dark Age has my intererst for some time but it never materialized into actually buying the pieces. After some recent web articles I've decided to order the rulebook and dig into this game bid deeper.

Looking at the demo though I got the impression there isn't a lot of strategy and tactics in the game. Strategy probably comes through the Forcelists and force selection process but on tactics it was basically move, shoot or fight, defence, I didn't see a lot of variety to this theme. Can somebody proof me wrong? Perhaps another (short) Demo vid which shows a bid more variety?

I'm currently considering playing either Dragyri or Forsaken, potentially Brood, so I would be interested in any pointers on them.

Thx. for comments.

Wasteland Warrior Outcast Iron Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassenkop View Post
    Thx. for the vid. it gives an idea on how this game actually plays and some insight in future happenings.

Looking at the demo though I got the impression there isn't a lot of strategy and tactics in the game. Strategy probably comes through the Forcelists and force selection process but on tactics it was basically move, shoot or fight, defence, I didn't see a lot of variety to this theme. Can somebody proof me wrong? Perhaps another (short) Demo vid which shows a bid more variety?

Thx. for comments.
    Well I will disagree with you, but its always hard to prove someone wrong.

There's an old saying in Jazz. You have to learn to play the notes as written before you can improvise. When you learn the basics, (move, shoot or fight, defense) you can build on that to apply your tactics and strategy. Most units and many weapons have special abilities which you can (and should) use in your tactics.

For example my Forsaken Stingers have a weapon ability called Pierce. If I can wound a model and there is another model directly behind him, I can hit that model too. My strategy might be to try and get enemy models lined up so I can take advantage of Pierce. How I do that (say herding enemy close combat models together with a bait unit, or battlefield management with smoke) are my tactics.

Also the game depends on each player having mission objectives. Your strategy and tactics will change due to your objectives.

Read the rules and I think your brain will automatically start coming up with tactics and strategy all on its own, but you can't improvise until you know the basics notes.

Iron Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Dassenkop View Post

I'm still starting Dark Age and miniature games in general but this one, among the myriad of skirmish game choices, is certainly among the ones that might do it for me.

Dark Age has my intererst for some time but it never materialized into actually buying the pieces. After some recent web articles I've decided to order the rulebook and dig into this game bid deeper.

I'm currently considering playing either Dragyri or Forsaken, potentially Brood, so I would be interested in any pointers on them.

Thx. for comments.
    Hi Dassenkop,

Thanks for watching! This video was made with the pure intent of providing a general overview of game mechanics and an intro to what the first couple of games that anyone plays should be like.

There's a great battle report that graced the front page a few days back that you can find here:

http://dark-age.com/content.php?94-B...-vs-Saint-Mark

There are also a number of force articles written by Mr. Black here in the forum that should help you out a bit. As the game grows you'll find more and more of us putting in time to write tactics articles and the like. I've been into mini gaming for a long time and I will definitely say that strategy and tactics are one of the things that will truly separate the good players from the great players in Dark Age just due to the simple fact that Everything Dies. Figuring out how to minimize that in your force and maximize it in your opponents will take in depth strategy and well thought out tactics.

Welcome to Dark Age and have fun!

A1

Warwind Outcast
    There are definitely tactics involved. The game is easy to learn and so you can just throw a bunch of units at each other quickly and watch the slaughter. However as you get better at the game there become a lot of tactics that feel chess like-- by this I mean that since so much dies you have to think about when and where to sacrifice things and how to maximize enemy casualties while minimizing your own.

Once you add in scenarios, tactics become a much bigger deal. Just trying to kill each other doesn't introduce as much strategy, but it makes for great demo games.

Wasteland Warrior Outcast
    Thx. for the pointers and giving some more direction guys. I've read some of the articles and checked the forum some more and noticed some of the further details of this game. And I missed the scenario & mission element of this game, including terrain that can direct you decissions.

The element of 'feels chess like' has a familiar ring for me. I've played unit level board games for 25+ years now but and the 'chess feeling' is often what draws me into the game however these tend to take a full day to play ... hence looking for something that plays in a few hours to half a day, dark age seems to fit into that slot.

btw found this series of articles also instructive and giving more pointers to the game - http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/...-world-of.html